Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Airfield sites in France to visit

Snapper41

Hello all

Are there any particular airfield sites to visit in France? I know about St Omer, but am wondering if there are any other locations, particularly with memorials or plaques?

thanks

Snapper

Edited by Snapper41

Have a look at Mike O'Connor's series on Airfields and Airmen published by Pen and Sword. I visited a number of airfield sites in 2019 for a recent project. Of course most of these are simply farms today. Of the memorials you could visit the Arras Flying Services Memorial as a starting point: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arras_Flying_Services_Memorial

Best, Adam 

Edited by Grid

There's some panels in and around Cappy, where Manfred von Richthofen was stationed when he was killed. And I am working with some local enthousiasts at Markebeke airfield (where MvR was stationed in 1917) to have some panels placed in the foreseeable future and some bunker remains cleaned up.

The airfield of Bisseghem (1916-1918) was in the 1920s changed into Wevelgem airfield and remains in use until today. There's a small museum at the airfield about its history (in a German WW2 bunker).

Jan

Edited by AOK4

Cross & Cockade Spring 2020 Vol51/1 has a map of flying sites in France Belgium &Germany 1914 - 1920.