Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte J Oakley 7th South Wales Borders

Sgt Stripes

Hi. I am looking for help in researching Pte 45442 John Oakley 7th South Wales Borders. I think he was born in Manchester in 1896 and was entitled to the War & Victory Medals serving with the 7th Battalion in Salonika . His MIC & Medal roll states that he was Attached to the field supply Corps and Russian supply Corps. I can not find anything to connect the 7th SWB to a Russian Supply Corps. also there is a reference on his medal roll to what looks like either L C B D  or I C R D. I apologize for this but the roll is very faint. I also know that he was linked to HMHS GLENCORM CASTLE between the dates 17,10,1918 & 08, 11, 1918 suffering from Broncho Pneumonia and he was awarded s SWB ( not sure if it was awarded due to sickness or wounds). Any help in the research of him, the link to the Russian supply Corps or what the initials stand for would be gratefully welcome.   Thank You    

Edited by Sgt Stripes

Been told that Pte Oakley received a pension for Malaria.    

LCBD = Labour Corps Base Depot. I think this is the one at Boulogne, which received men travelling to and from Britain.

The Russian question is, to me, a mystery, but having looked at the documents, I think he was probably an individual reinforcement rather than a member of a SWB battalion.

He was discharged on 22 Mar 19.

Acknown 

3 hours ago, Sgt Stripes said:

Been told that Pte Oakley received a pension for Malaria.    

There is a WW1 Pension Ledger on WFA / Fold3 under that 45442 number = Discharged: 22.3.19, YoB: 1897,  28 West Street, Leek, Staffordshire - Malaria, pension from 23.3.19 [interim] c. 20/- and coming to an end 4.1.21  No further award of pension or gratuity

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418

Many Thanks for you help and replies. Most welcome.  

Thank you. This leaves us with the Russian Supply Corps question. I would be interested to know what this was should an expert pass by.

Acknown

Edited by Acknown