Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Warnock 19

Frederick William Benn and Charles Benn what Regiment

Warnock 19

Hello

This is my first post  and i have 2 graet uncles that I know nothing about other than they served in WW1. Both survived . I do have photos and he first two are of  Frederick William Benn b 30/8/1889 in Barrow and Furness. We understood he was gassed when in the trenches. Would be graetful for any information on him please. Sorry first photo is faded. Hard to make out the cap badge .

The seond photo is of his brother Charles Benn b 20/7/1878. Again born Barrow in Furness. Very striking uniform but I have no idea of the regiment .

Thank you

Warnock 19

Frederick W Benn b 3081889.JPG

Frederick W Benn.JPG

Charles Benn b 2071878.JPG

Michelle Young

Welcome to the forum. Top photo looks Like Kings Own Royal Lancasters, but to me, has a post War look? 

Michelle 

sadbrewer

The top photo looks like a Kings Own badge.

FROGSMILE
Posted (edited)

I agree with Maureen and Simon that the first photo shows a Cpl of the King's Own (Royal Lancaster) Regiment after WW1.  His cap and closely cut jacket and lanyard on the right shoulder all point to that.  I think that the second photo shows the same person, but as a younger man during the 2nd Boer War, when he seems to have served with his local yeomanry (auxiliary cavalry) regiment.  The third chap is also from the same yeomanry around a similar time, but wearing his undress frock rather than field dress.  

The regiment is Westmoreland and Cumberland Yeomanry.  Both men were probably in C Squadron.  C Squadron: Whitehaven (Workington, Maryport and Barrow in Furness).  A particular dress feature was the white gorget tabs with gimp cord and buttons on the collar.  The scarlet upper garments were unusual for light cavalry and are a good example of how the Saturday night soldiers liked to 'look good' to aid recruiting.  At a time when most men had just two outifits, working and Sunday best, it was a significant motivator.  Every man could be a prince.

Colour images from uniformology.com with permission.

a badge.jpg

Cumb and West Yeomanry.jpg

YEO_FRAME_SIDE_West_Cumb_2.jpg

E53DEDF6-6F19-4EF9-B7BE-CB0F1462FF86.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Warnock 19

Fantastic. Yes the first 2 photos are the same person. Perhaps the photo was taken after he returned from WW1 --he certainly has aged alot .

Sorry to be green but when you say served with his local Yeomany does that mean he would have seen service overseas or was he simply based in  Uk in some sort of training unit .

sadbrewer
1 minute ago, Warnock 19 said:

Fantastic. Yes the first 2 photos are the same person. Perhaps the photo was taken after he returned from WW1 --he certainly has aged alot .

Sorry to be green but when you say served with his local Yeomany does that mean he would have seen service overseas or was he simply based in  Uk in some sort of training unit .

It can help if you can tell us any addresses, children, parents wives etc.

Warnock 19

Thanks. Parents to both James Turner benn and Mary benn. addresses 37 Exmouth Street Barrow and 130 Blake Street Barrow.  Fred didnt marry till we think 1928 a Gwadys Hughes Jones . No Children. Charles the one in the dress uniform 37 Exmouth Street with parents on 191 and 1901 census. Married 1902 to Elizabeth Isabel hall. and children from 1903-1912.

Would they have been paid for being in the local Yeomany --and if so approx how much.

Thanks.

sadbrewer

There was a Sergeant Benn in the Cumberland and Westmoreland Yeomanry in 1912...no initial though.

FROGSMILE
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Warnock 19 said:

The Yeomanry were part-time and attended drill local to their homes for an annual cash sum, provided that they attended a minimum number of ‘drills’, as each training session was called.  There were four squadrons in the regiment, with each squadron having an HQ and then three troops.  The C Squadron details I’ve given you above and as you can see Barrow in Furness provided one troop ‘drill station’.  Regimental headquarters was at Penrith.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Warnock 19

Thank You .

FROGSMILE
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Warnock 19 said:

Thank You .

Glad to help.  Here is a photo of the Barrow drill hall that still stands today (tree outside).

The Dalton one has been converted into a Community centre (entrance with green painted eaves over door)

Both were built circa 1900.

The first man in the two photos of perhaps a decade apart is not wearing any medal ribbons on his jacket which suggests that he probably didn’t serve overseas in either the Boer War, or the Great War.

0065B34F-B201-4CB9-BBDC-C5AD4F63587B.jpeg

5FBB86C5-E4D4-453F-870B-0F2584A3800F.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE