Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fricourt by-pass

nigelcave

Work for a new Fricourt by-pass has commenced - by-pass is probably a bit strong, as it is not a major change.

The scheme aims to remove the danger of the crossroads at the western end of the village - i.e. Fricourt-Bray crossing the Albert-Peronne road. So far as I can see it involves a deviation of the Albert-Peronne road so that it runs to the west, skirting the line of housing on the west side of the village and appears to return to the road at the point where the narrow road up to Bois Francais and Point 110 leaves it. I have seen no plans, but the work has started and the outline of the route is clear from the parts of the fields that have not been seeded this year. I shall try and get a photograph of the area in the next couple of days.

I see that the total cost is advertised as €3mn, which is not a startling figure in this day and age. It seems eminently sensible in terms of road safety and from 'our' point of view is of relatively little impact. However, I am not quite clear on how the layout will actually work - so what I have put here is an educated guess - I imagine that a couple of roundabouts will be required.

There is currently a deviation, if coming from Bray heading to Fricourt, that takes you off via Meaulte to the Albert by-pass; I imagine that it is the same if heading to Bray from Fricourt (i.e. via the Albert by-pass), but I have not investigated that yet - in any case, I would go over the top of 110 and via Citadel Cemetery (OK in decent weather and, ideally, with a 4x4).

There is also some talk of extending the airport (and runway) at Meaulte/Albert, making more use of it for freight. It does not seem a wildly sensible idea, given the infrastructure in the area; and would not seem to fit in with M Macron's new green agenda. I have no idea if this is just the rumour mill or is based on a published proposal.

Sounds sensible.  It's obviously a dangerous spot as even the locals seem to slow down to the speed limit when approaching the crossroads.  I always wonder if someone is going to pull out from the right when I'm going through, especially when heading towards Albert.

Re the airport, here's an almost daily lunchtime arrival coming in to land at Meaulte as seen from our place.  It always seems to me to be going that slowly it will fall out of the sky at any time.

DSC06541.JPG

DSC06542.JPG

1 hour ago, Don Regiano said:

going that slowly it will fall out of the sky at any time

Nigel, thanks for the info. I can't bring the junction to mind but it sounds positive. As for the guppy Airbus it occasionally swings over Owls Towers to make a run over the Wirral into BAE at Chester (or out the other way).

Pete.

9 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Nigel, thanks for the info. I can't bring the junction to mind but it sounds positive. As for the guppy Airbus it occasionally swings over Owls Towers to make a run over the Wirral into BAE at Chester (or out the other way).

Pete.

I think the locals call this ungainly transport plane a 'Beluga', given its whale-like appearance. It seems to be going incredibly slowly when it comes in to land and to be defying the laws of gravity. However, since I left Physics alone (with great thankfulness, I might add) straight after my O Level fifty years ago (!!!), what do I know; or, perhaps better, what do I remember?

Reg and Nigel

I still can't remember the junction, but then it is a long long time (too long in fact) since I was anywhere near Fricourt. Since I still look the wrong way when crossing the road in France it is important that I have the photograph to remind me. To be honest I can't even remember passing through the village although since I have been to the German cemetery and to the location of the 10th West Yorks catastrophe on 1st July I must have done.

Pete.

P.S. I do like to see the Beluga occasionally, and since I gave up physics after 'O' level too I still marvel at the sight. But then we still point at planes in general.......

58 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

I still can't remember the junction

The Google Earth view above is looking towards Albert on the main Albert to Péronne road.  At the crossroads, you would turn right to enter the village of Fricourt itself and on to the German cemetery.  Turning left takes you past the end of the runway, past Citadel and on to Bray.  (You can also go that way to access Bois Francais if you did not want to take the narrower track to it from the main road a bit further along in the direction of Péronne - reference our conversation a short while ago about the Devonshires etc).

Same here with the physics!

Reg

5 minutes ago, Don Regiano said:

reference our conversation a short while ago about the Devonshires etc).

Same here with the physics!

I can see myself walking a lot of that area when I get the chance. I think I've done enough to demonstrate that I don't know it well on the forum in recent weeks, so I need to brush up on my Gallic road safety top tips. I wonder if there was a French equivalent of the Tufty Club or Darth Vader (sorry the Green Cross Man)? It sounds like the by-pass will contribute to my road safety anyway.

As to the physics you and Nigel seem to have done OK for yourselves without higher qualifications in that area. The jury may want to retire for the night and discuss the matter further where I'm concerned........:(

3 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

my Gallic road safety top tips

You will be OK on the Albert-Péronne road Pete as I'm pretty sure that you have priority all the way.  That doesn't mean that cars joining from your right will stop at the stop signs, of course.  However, the Bapaume to Cambrai road is a totally different kettle of fish with priority to the right applying in the small villages that the road passes through - as I almost found out to my cost one time!

1 hour ago, Don Regiano said:

You will be OK on the Albert-Péronne road Pete as I'm pretty sure that you have priority all the way.  That doesn't mean that cars joining from your right will stop at the stop signs, of course.  However, the Bapaume to Cambrai road is a totally different kettle of fish with priority to the right applying in the small villages that the road passes through - as I almost found out to my cost one time!

I will be on what my old mum used to call shanks' pony at all times; I think the local drivers or officers of the leuwe (as Insp. Clouseau would say) would take whatever a dim view is in French if I hogged the highway on foot. But it is a top tip for the less automotively challenged among us, it's appreciated.

Pete.