Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Battalion York and Lancaster Regiment Salonika April-May 1917

Manipled Mutineer

I am currently researching a man of the 1st Battalion York and Lancaster Regiment who appears in a Bulgarian PoW depot at Phillipopolis in mid-May 1917. In order to try and piece together a bit of his story I would like to have an idea of what the battalion was doing April-May 1917 and where it was (on the assumption that that is roughly where  he was captured) but in the absence of an accessible war diary and with seemingly few secondary references I am struggling to find out. If anyone has any information to share or can recommend a book (there doesn't appear to be much about the battalion in either Under the Devil's Eye or Gardeners of Salonika from what I can gather through Google Books) I would be very grateful.

Thanks, Anthony 

• 3 months later...

Hi Anthony

Apologises only just spotted this post so if you are still looking I might be able to help

I made a copy of the 1st Battalion War Diary (not a good one but am happy to share it if you email me) I am assuming we are not allowed to post copies on the website of the relevant pages but if I am wrong I will post for the benefit of others.

Couldn't find anything in April re prisoners being taken but on 20th March 1917 two patrols went out and one had 5 men missing It does not name the men just the officer who led them. 

20th March Two Strong Patrols sent to the East and West of Sugovo respectively....."

The patrol that went East got lost in the dark and appear to have missed the village but the one that went West made contact with a Garrison of 70 Rifles

The report on what happened is below

Andrew

War Diary 1st Batt York & Lancs 1915 to 1918 132.jpg

Thanks Andrew, this is massively helpful and warmly appreciated. I will PM you my email address if I may.

Regards, Anthony 

• 1 year later...

@Grandrew2 Hi there, I am currently researching my great great grandfather who served in the 1st Battlion at Salonika. Would I also be able to access the diary? Thank you.

His name was John Hudson (Private) and went to Salonika in April 1916 and returned to England in May 1918 as he had malaria and a fractured arm.

Edited by nanyak2001

Yes happy to help

What period do you want. Its a massive file as I used my camera on a high res for each. Could try using Airdrop if you have a Mac but I will need to work out how to do it.

Just PM your email and I will get cracking

Many thanks

Andrew