Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Courts martial

Old Harry

Can anyone advise me where I can find details of a Field General Court Martial held at Talmas, France, on 20 Sept 1916. The accused was M2 081501 Pte Champion E of the Army Service Corps.
I can find nothing about Pte Champion in Forces Records, and there are a huge number of files on Courts Martial in the National Archives. However, I can't download any as they are not digitised.

Well, I've found his Medal Roll entry on Ancestry. If you have it: click here. He is listed in a Royal Warwickshire Regiment roll as 'M2/081501 Champion L, along with a collection of 'C' surnames and annotated 'Regiment or Corps Last Served With'. This indicates that he may have transferred from the R Warwicks to the RASC. He disembarked 09 May 15 and was transferred to the Class Z Reserve as a Pte on 20 Mar 19. There is a number '33453' next to the transfer details, and I'll have a further look to see if I can find anything else.

Acknown

I've found his MIC. He was Leonard Champion and served in RASC as M2/081501 and R Warwicks as 33453. He received 1915 Star, VM and BM.

I may have misinterpreted the Medal Roll. He may have transferred from the (R)ASC to the R Warwicks.

Edited by Acknown

I've looked at 'UK, Naval and Military Courts Martial Registers, 1806-1930' on Ancestry. His Field General Court Martial is included in a yearly FGCM report (Sep 16 to Sep 17) held on Fold3, which I don't have. I don't know how much detail is in there, but it may contain a summary of his case. Alternatively, it is available at TNA (WO 213/11), but not digitised: click here.

Acknown

And finally, his Service Record survives (Ancestry). It's full of personal detail and all his varied postings. His FGCM was for 'When on Active Service, neglecting to obey Company Standing Order (on 11.9.16 driving an omnibus abreast of another moving in the same direction on the AMIENS - DOULLENS Road). He was awarded 28 Days Field Punishment No. 2. However, this was not confirmed by the (major general) DA & QMG and the entry on his Conduct Sheet was thus cancelled.

Acknown

Edited by Acknown

1 hour ago, Acknown said:

held on Fold3

It says place of Court Martial - In field - 20th. Sept.

There is an A by Champion's name in the column headed - Appeal from Summary Award of C.O.

I am grateful to you both for this assistance. I had to ask as I lost most of my research links when I changed computers recently.