Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Machine Gun Corps Base Depot

stevew

I'm researching a guy who started life in the MMGS and was accepted at Cadet School in August 1916.  I know what MG company he went but he didn't join until May 1917.  Would he have finished Cadet School (he was commissioned in Feb 17) and spent the time up until May with the Base Depot?

1 hour ago, stevew said:

I'm researching a guy who started life in the MMGS and was accepted at Cadet School in August 1916.  I know what MG company he went but he didn't join until May 1917.  Would he have finished Cadet School (he was commissioned in Feb 17) and spent the time up until May with the Base Depot?

He would probably go to the base depot on completion of his commissioning course and be on ‘held strength’ there for a short, interim period until such time as posted to his battalion.

Edited by FROGSMILE

On 29/06/2020 at 12:42, stevew said:

Do you have a name/MMGS service number for him? May have him in my files.

On 30/06/2020 at 17:38, david murdoch said:

Do you have a name/MMGS service number for him? May have him in my files.

2/Lt W R Holloway

Ok. I have him on my MMGS  list as 1158 Corporal William Robert Holloway 19th MMG Battery then 69th Coy MGC(I) 

I have him returning from Argentina and enlisting 12th May 1915 directly into MMGS then going to France 6th February 1916 with 19th MMG - they were one of three Batteries held back and only sent over in February 1916.

Regarding time spent between commissioning 23/2/1919  and joining 69th Coy. Would need his officer's record WO 339/69447 to find exactly what he was up to between then and joining 69th Coy. He most likely had some home leave and remained in the UK possibly at Grantham doing further courses. He got married a week after his commission. Going that his son was born 5th February 1918, counting back (9 months) he must have been in UK early May 1917.

Lot of information on him here.

http://dawlishww1.org.uk/soldiers/2nd-lieutenant-william-robert-holloway/

Edited by david murdoch
Adding information.

3 hours ago, david murdoch said:

commissioning 23/2/1919

Typo David?

The linked documentation has him commissioning 24/02/1917 and KiA in Sep 1917?

48 minutes ago, pjwmacro said:

Typo David?

The linked documentation has him commissioning 24/02/1917 and KiA in Sep 1917?

Yes typo  - corrected! Looking for him in the War Diary to see when he actually left the battery. Found another Cpl. and the BSM leaving for Cadet School and their commission dates are roughly 4 months later.

21 hours ago, david murdoch said:

Ok. I have him on my MMGS  list as 1158 Corporal William Robert Holloway 19th MMG Battery then 69th Coy MGC(I) 

I have him returning from Argentina and enlisting 12th May 1915 directly into MMGS then going to France 6th February 1916 with 19th MMG - they were one of three Batteries held back and only sent over in February 1916.

Regarding time spent between commissioning 23/2/1919  and joining 69th Coy. Would need his officer's record WO 339/69447 to find exactly what he was up to between then and joining 69th Coy. He most likely had some home leave and remained in the UK possibly at Grantham doing further courses. He got married a week after his commission. Going that his son was born 5th February 1918, counting back (9 months) he must have been in UK early May 1917.

Lot of information on him here.

http://dawlishww1.org.uk/soldiers/2nd-lieutenant-william-robert-holloway/

Thanks.  That just about ties up with what I have.  I found the Dawlish stuff, and I assumed he was at Grantham from when he was commissioned until he went to France.  It sort of fits.