Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th somerset light infantry help please

weshallremember

good afternoon

i have the war diary for the 6th somerset light inf

but cant seem to find details of the battle of flers courcelette on 15th to 22nd september

according to the cwgc there were 157 killed during the battle a lot on the 16th

but no info on the diary ????

does any one know what pages the details are on

thanks

trevor

Hi Trevor,

The details are in an appendix entitled 'Narrative of Operations 16, September 1916'.

The War Diary does have the 16-19th in the actual diary but only a few lines.

In part, the narrative records,

“At 4am on the 16th September the battalion relieved the 9th K.R.R. in the right Guedecourt sector, which had been captured by that battalion the previous day. I had been told the previous evening that I was at attack on the next day and received final orders at about 4.30am on the 16th. Zero at 9.25am.

At Zero the men went over, but instead of reaching Gird Trench the right of “B” Company reached the right of X.X., the other companies taking the remainder of the trench between this point and the sunken road. Some 6 Germans were captured on the right and about 100 of the enemy ran away. Everyone thought they were in Gird Trench and I was under the impression until the evening. “C” Company advanced and dug in on a line some 50 yards from Gird Trench. “A” Company dug in about 100 yards north of X.X. Trench, with their left on the road.

On coming over the ridge between A.A. and X.X. trenches the men came under machine gun fire from the north and east and lost heavily. It was impossible for them to advance further.

At 9.50am I received a message from “B” Company on the right saying that they could not advance owing to the number of the enemy, who were bombing them from Gird Trench. As I had 2 companies of the K.O.Y.L.I. in close support I sent “D” Company to their assistance, but on account of the machine gun fire, they were unable to advance beyond X.X. trench.

All companies remained in these positions during the day and I reported that Gird Trench had been taken but that I could not advance further.

At 6.20pm I received orders to renew the attack at 6.55pm assisted by 2 companies 6th K.O.Y.L.I. Most of my companies attempted to advance but the machine gun fire was too strong and the attack broke down.

My losses were 17 officers and 383 other ranks.”

Regards,

Graeme

Edited by GraemeClarke