Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Army Ordnance Corps

Chris_Baker

Does anyone know of any books that cover the organisation of the (British Army) AOC during the Great War? I must confess to not having seen one.

I have never seen anything on the AOC in print, nor any post-war histories. Shame considering they carried out some fascinating duties during WW1.

Chris,

"History of the Army Ordnance Service, part III" by Maj Gen A. Forbes (1929) covers the AOC in the Great War.

As I recently found out when purchasing my copy it is a fairly common book for sale on Abebooks.com.

Joe Sweeney

Paul,

Unfortunetly, it does not do a good job at all of listing units. It is detailed to the extent it gives the global operation of the AOC without naming units, particulary in France. More of a command level perspective that gives a history of the function, growth, organization, reorganization of the AOC.

Chapters incude:

First Phase

Trench Warfare

Headquarters

The Front

LoC

Ammunition Supply

The Campaign of 1918

Demobilization

The Home Base

Levant and Med

Gallipoli

Salonika

Palestine

Mespot

E Africa

Italy

Russia

Joe Sweeney

Chris I understand the Royal Logistics Corps museum has a large archive of material depending on how "stuck in" you want to get! Although I havent tried their archives myself I was told about its existence when Harold Greenhalgh came up in a conversation - you might not remember the name but he is the Headmaster buried at Nine Elms we visited in April.

Chris.

Don't know if this is of any help but try this website ROAC Gazette

I spotted it by chance,while looking for some info on my grandad,who served during WW2.

All the best.

Simon.

• 4 weeks later...

Chris

If you are still search for a copy of Forbes Book, A History of the Army Ordnance Services: The Great War, then Turner Donovan Military books

has a copy for £50.00

Contact number 01702 478771

Regards

Geoff