Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

31st Ambulance Train MH106 2066

Thomas Jones

I found a new piece of information that my GG'Grandfather Thomas John Williams 13682 RWF was on the 31st ambulance train due to gun shot wounds.  Is there a way to find out what British hospital he would have went to?  Some hospitals have photos of the patients so I thought if I found out what hospital he was in, I may find a photo of him too.

Many thanks Tom

THOMAS John Williams MEDAL CARD 30850_A001693-02563.jpg

THOMAS-John-Williams-GUN-SHOT-WOUND.jpg

THOMAS-John-Williams-WOUND-STRIPE.jpg

He was aboard the Asturias hospital ship then entrained at Bailleul and detrained at Buologne and if I'm right boarded the 31st Ambulance train.

Edited by Thomas Jones

Hi Tom,

Thomas has some service papers on Findmypast (link) - they should also be available on Ancestry.

Unfortunately, whilst they don't appear to show what hospital/s in the UK he received treatment in, they do show his initial evacuation route:  

15.9.1916 - wounded (shrapnel to both thighs)

15.9.1916 - admitted 57 Field Ambulance

15.9.1916 - admitted 8 Casualty Clearing Station

17.9.1916 - admitted 14 General Hospital

19.9.1916 - to UK per HS Asturias

31 Ambulance Train would have taken him from hospital to the port for evacuation back to the UK.

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

Hi Chris,

many thanks for the information and the links.  I have retrieved the service record from Ancestry... there's loads.

His service record has also solved a few family mystery including adopting a child and unfortunately the passing of his young daughter when he was on the front line.

So 31st ambulance train was in France not the UK?  

I was named after Thomas John Williams so it's great to get his history.

Do you know if a group photo exists of the 9th Battalion RWF?  or an archive of soldiers photos?

While photos were taken of the soldiers before they disembarked, I wondered if they still exist in archive somewhere?  Bit of along shot I know,

Thanks again, Tom

• 2 years later...

31 Ambulance Train Medical records are available in Find My Past - on 17 Sep 1916 he was entrained at Bailleul with gun shot wounds to the legs. He was then detrained in Boulogne, presumably on the same day. Looks like the train also took on casualties at Remy on the way to Boulogne.

However he is recorded as Private 13682 TJ Williams of Royal Welsh Fusiliers not RWR  see attached

I don't see a CWGC Grave for his and so I assume he survived his wounds.

31st ZAm Train for TJ Williams.jpg