Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Martin Zander

Tom Tulloch-Marshall

Can anybody tell me whether Hauptmann Martin Zander of Jasta 1 would be flying a Fokker D1, D11, or an Albatros D1 as of early October 1916 ?
Tom

The book, 'Oswald Boelcke: Germany's First Fighter Ace and Father of Air Combat', discusses the formation of the Jastas and says that Zanders unit was made up of a Fokker D.I and D.II biplanes as well as a small initial deployment of Albatross D.I's in August of 1916. The Albatross performed best with the Jasta claiming more victories in the last week of August than their parent unit had scored in three months, with this in mind I wind presume this was Zanders plane of choice. 

6 hours ago, sr97 said:

"... as well as a small initial deployment of Albatross D.I's in August of 1916. …"

Thanks - Given Zander's position in the Jasta that makes a good amount of sense - but can it be confirmed ?

Tom

Above the Lines by Franks, Bailey and Guest states ‘the unit was initially equipped with Fokker DI and DII fighters and later Halberstadt DIIs

7 hours ago, Chesterboy said:

Above the Lines by Franks, Bailey and Guest states ‘the unit was initially equipped with Fokker DI and DII fighters and later Halberstadt DIIs

Uhm … "up in the air" during WW1 Is definitely not my research area and my knowledge of the theatre is close to zero - but I must say that this is getting terribly confusing !  - a "small initial deployment of Albatross D.I's in August of 1916" goes to no mention of Albatross D.I's in the account quoted above. Are any of the authors concerned quoting sources ? - Or does anybody have primary source information ?

Tom