Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Old contemptible association badge number

Hi All

I bought an Old contemptibles association badge and wondered if anyone can help me

found out anything on the original holder?

The  badge  number is  9470D 

thanks I advance 

Dave 

Records are scarce for Old Contemptible records unfortunately.

This thread may be of interest. 

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/191710-old-contemptibles-association-list-of-badge-numbers/?do=findComment&comment=1874673

Edited by GWF1967

There were over 50,000 badges issued between 1926 and 1975, and out of those I have references to about 270 of that total. As has been pointed out previously, the master rolls held by the General Secretary of the Association on which the badge numbers were recorded have long since disappeared. I can tell you however that the D suffix on badges was used between 1940 and 1950, the numbers running between 1 and 9999. Your badge is quite late in the sequence so would have been issued sometime during 1949.

Edited by AndrewThornton

Examples of the Badge number sequence, from badges in my collection. Initially badges had no letter suffix and reached c12,000 before the first suffix A was introduced in 1932. This Roll used until 1935, when 9999 was reached and B Roll was started. The C suffix was used between 1938 and 1939 when there was a considerable influx of applications to The Old Contemptibles' Association on the decision being made to close its ranks to new members on 31 December 1938. This decision was quickly overturned and in 1940 a new D Roll was started. The final E Roll was brought in during 1950 and badges continued to be issued right up to 1975. It is not unusual, from what little evidence survives, to come across references to Chums being issued with two badges when they had lost their first one, and the replacement had its own number, not the same as that of the badge that had been lost. 

IMG_20200520_123859.jpg

• 3 months later...

I have an Old Contemptibles badge that was my grandfather's, Walter Montague Read. The badge number stamped on the back is 3192E. He was in the 1st Hampshire battalion and they were sent to France at the outbreak of war and formed part of the 11th Infantry Brigade. He fought at Le Cateau, Mons and the Marne when he was injured and sent home. In 1915 he went to the Dardanelles with the 2nd Hampshires, was wounded again, but went back again when recovered to the Balkans (Macedonia). He was unfortunately wounded again, he left the army in 1919. Don't know if this is of any interest to anyone, but I feel very proud of him.