Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help Please True of False

Sgt Stripes

Hi. I was told many years ago over a few pints that during WW1 someone "I don't know who or where" The British attacked the enemy by using  two seaplanes that had had there wings removed, so that they sped across, I think a  it was a lake, like a ship and launched an attack on the enemy by using just the observers machine guns.  Is this true or false. 

1 hour ago, Sgt Stripes said:

Hi. I was told many years ago over a few pints that during WW1 someone "I don't know who or where" The British attacked the enemy by using  two seaplanes that had had there wings removed, so that they sped across, I think a  it was a lake, like a ship and launched an attack on the enemy by using just the observers machine guns.  Is this true or false. 

Hi

You may be referring to 'Mimi' a stripped Martinsyde Elephant (single-seat) used on the Dead Sea by No.67 Sqn. during 1917.  The story is in 'Aces and Kings' by L W Sutherland (p.60-61 in my copy), it is also related in 'The Martinsyde File' by Ray Sanger, Air-Britain 1999, p.125.  Image from that page attached.

Mike

2020response039.jpg.cf55f1d9cf82d098f5b8ca1f04033002.jpg

Fantastic. Many Thanks. It was an old tale told to me in the early eighties. 

• 2 weeks later...

“Mimi” seemed popular as a name for unconventional operations on lakes during the Great War??