Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

my grandpa in the somme

lyndaf

hi all. hope everyone's ok

i was just reading something on my grandpa angus findlay.- the war diary.  he enlisted into the RE in 1915.  just wanted to know where he went to when he embarked for franceand which port he went from?

many thanks, lyndaf

Lyndaf

Do you mean his own personal war diary ? The obvious candidate is 36718 Angus Findlay MM. The LG 29/03/1919 31257 p 4126 shows 101 Field Company and his NOK address as Tooting. The award was for service in Italy. This is confirmed by his MM card. Did you put the entry on Lives of the First World War ? The WD of 101 FC (23 Div) records that the Unit was in F&F in January 1916 and although it names names I have no record of Angus. It is most likely that he arrived at No 4 General Base Depot RE in Rouen at some point in 1916 and was posted to 101 FC. 

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

many thanks.

i did put grandpas records on lives of the first world war.  he joined up in 1915 ~ time of the lusitainia sinking- june 7th ( i think !)

• 2 months later...

sorry i've been away from the forum since july, but back now!

i just wanted to know at what level the fighting was  at italy especially at papadopoli island and where the nearest hospital was in that area?

hope everyone's ok and coping well

many thanks lyndaf