Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

lieutenants R C Stoddard and J Quinlan No4 Sqdn

RegHannay

This morning I entered a query on the medical services thread on the bravery of RAMC  Medical officer O'Kell (Sherwood Foresters) who  bravely ran into "no mans land" to assist two airmen brought down by gun fire. This was around the Festubert area on 3rd July 1916. Unfortunately both airmen died.

The only airmen I can find for that day were reported "missing in action" (Stoddard and Quinlan) and are commemorated on the Arras Flying services memorial. At the time they were flying on artillery observation.

The plane in question came down near Festurbert some 30 plus air miles away from the observation area around Miraumont/Grandcourt The bodies of the men were taken to the A.D.S Marais where my grandfather and another officer collected their possessions.

I would assume that the men would have been buried close to the ADS and then lost later through shelling etc, If it was indeed Stoddard and Quinlan. Any thoughts??

Sorry for crossing threads.

Dave

I doubt it would have been 2nd-Lieut Ralph Cyril Stoddart & 2nd-Lieut John Francis Pembroke Boxwell Quinlan; No 4 Squadron was then based at Baizieux, some 60 Km south-west of Festubert, which was probably out of their patrol area.

It might be worth considering 2nd-Lieut Rex Sherwell & 2nd-Lieut John Charles Miller Stewart, No 23 Squadron, both killed in action in FE2b 6339 (presentation machine 'Nova Scotia') - brought down by A.A. at Festubert during bombing La Bassée; both are buried at Lapugnoy Military Cemetery, about 15 Km west of Festubert.

Graeme

2 minutes ago, topgun1918 said:

I doubt it would have been 2nd-Lieut Ralph Cyril Stoddart & 2nd-Lieut John Francis Pembroke Boxwell Quinlan; No 4 Squadron was then based at Baizieux, some 60 Km south-west of Festubert, which was probably out of their patrol area.

It might be worth considering 2nd-Lieut Rex Sherwell & 2nd-Lieut John Charles Miller Stewart, No 23 Squadron, both killed in action in FE2b 6339 (presentation machine 'Nova Scotia') - brought down by A.A. at Festubert during bombing La Bassée; both are buried at Lapugnoy Military Cemetery, about 15 Km west of Festubert.

Graeme

Thank you Graeme. I did think it a long shot, I did not find the CWGC record of Rex and John. We now know the name of the person who tried to save them that day. O'Kell M.O Sherwood Foresters. The episode at the time is recorded in a very moving way by my grandfather. I may well upload it later but not tonight, to many bevvies I'm afraid. Cheers

Dave

2 minutes ago, topgun1918 said:

Graeme

Dave, I look forward to hearing those details. And for now, enjoy the Bevvies!

Trevor

Edited by fetubi

17 minutes ago, fetubi said:

Dave, I look forward to hearing those details. And for now, enjoy the Bevvies!

Trevor

Evening Trevor, what I will do is put it on the GWF blog "Only With Honour" now, thanks for showing interest, 

Dave.