Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

medal Abréviation CTN.MGR

james drury

Hi all 

Just wondering if anyone can let me know what the CTN.MGR stands for on this medal. 

It was with a bunch of family things but the name is not known to the family so trying to identify, 

Many thanks 

James

IMG_4080.JPG

His WWi trio of medals is recorded in ADM 171/133 page 545, qualifying service in HMS BLANCHE. The medals were claimed by and issued to him in person. George R PAGE Ctn.Mgr.

Edited by horatio2

Amazing !! thank you so much. 

I have never looked into anyone who served in the RN so this is a new one for me. 

thanks for the help :-)

The Canteen Staff were civilians, the Canteen Manager being a tenant under contract to the captain of his ship. The ship's accounting officer acted as the business manager, responsible for all purchases, sale prices, custody of cash, and cash transactions in connection with the canteen. (See KR&AI)

Edited by horatio2

thank you :-)

that's a lot more than I knew an hour ago and gives me something to go from - now to have a look as to why this medal was in a box of family things ... 

I really appreciate all the help given so far and have spent some time having a good look for anything associated with this chap but am struggling. Would he have had a service record or anything like that. I’m on unfamiliar ground with the navy. 

A suggestion as to who Ctn. Mgr. George R. Page may have been:

George Rufus Page date of birth given as 13 December 1880 in the 1939 register, occupation chef, address 3 Elizabeth Place, Plymouth, wife Beatrice M. Page date of birth given as 19 August 1883. 

George Rufus Page was born in the Barnstaple, Devon Reg. District.

Married in 1907 quarter 3, Beatrice Maud Dashper in the Plymouth Registration District.

1911 census working as a chef in the officers' mess at Dehli Barracks, South Tidworth, Hants.

Can also be found in some ships' manifest in the 1930's listed as a steward, accompanied by his wife Beatrice M. It is not clear whether or not he was actually working on the ships in question.

Died 1958 in Totnes, Devon. 

As I said at the top - may have been. 

Hmm a possibility I guess .. and may have found a service record for him.. same name, born in Barnstaple, 18yrs 0 months in Dec 1897 so birth December 1879 - close to1880

Enlisted in the Devonshire Regiment in 1897 and served in South Africa1899 to 1903, Service  No4953

Discharged in 1909, South Africa medal with several clasps

seems coincidental he's seen service and spent 12 years in the army is discharged 1909. 1911 is  a chef in a barrack officers mess, possibly becomes Canteen Manager on HMS BLANCHE during WW1 then has a career as a ships steward .. may be .. 

Although he gave his birth date as 13 December 1880 in the 1939 register the registration of the birth of George Rufus Page was in quarter 1 of 1880, which fits with a birth in December 1879.