Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieutenant Barker, Ardennes, France, 1918 (photo)

Hugo1914

George Satterlee Barker

DOB: 05 May 1894. A student at Pennsylvania State College.

Courtesy of ancestry:

GSB.jpg.39a1f7380f14345bb34f1987f919cd05.jpg

813597087_WarService.jpg.283da2a109e1d31422435e121b05322d.jpg

1381005879_GSBarker.jpg.9fd09bf81bb9fc49453c3efcad68b848.jpg

JP

6 hours ago, Hugo1914 said:

Thank you all for your replies regarding the hare, the dog, and the soldier.

Looks like the dog might have got the hare and you are now probably getting your solider.

Don't worry about a bit of levity as in a busy forum like GWF at the moment it has kept your thread a the top of the list and in the pals' eyes whilst we were waiting for serious stuff and for the Americans to arrive [due to a trans-Atlantic time difference in case you were wondering - not an aspersion!]

6 hours ago, Hugo1914 said:

On the latter, according to The Official History of the 315th Infantry 1917-1919, there was a lieutenant George S. Barker in the area at that time, Battalion intelligence officer.

It appears the elusive Lt. Barker when 'off grid' back in 1919 too - they were asking if anyone had seen him even back then.

:-) M

1.  George Satterlee Barker died in Florida on 08 February 1959:

GSB.jpg.2ff13f5001524d5ee5d79a86b9f129ae.jpg

Tampa Tribune, 09 February 1959:

1141565768_TampaTribune09021959.jpg.bdced64a443e97a648a4922ee1da0263.jpg

2.  From ancestry, a 1916 passport photo of GSB's brother - Earle Schuyler Barker (born 26 November 1890):

ESB.jpg.131a55e2b3ceb0ca0a115984e39c63a5.jpg

JP

Great, thank you all. Ironically, he was working in "Bayonne", NJ, named after the French city. Not bad for a French-speaking American who fought in France. 

Now comes the hardest part for me: understanding how he knew my great-grandfather. Any chance I could get in touch with his great-grandchildren? Through Ancestry?

Thanks again,

9 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

we were waiting for ... the Americans to arrive

Sorry about that, we have a nasty habit of showing up late! :P

11 hours ago, Hugo1914 said:

Now comes the hardest part for me: understanding how he knew my great-grandfather

On 23/06/2020 at 11:07, Hugo1914 said:

My great-grandfather was a French soldier during WWI.

If we've got the right Barker and as he was an intelligence Officer then I think you have probably provided part of your answer.

Without details of your GGF it will be hard for us to try and help you establish when and where.

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418

Thank you all again. As required, more info on my great-grandfather: his name was Albert VILMER (originally WIDMER and also spelled WILMER). He was a lawyer, Ph.D. in law in 1914, living in Dijon. Engaged in the war against Germany between October 1914 and December 1918, he was a sub-lieutenant, in the 16th Territorial Infantry Regiment in 1917, in the 20th Territorial Army Auto Service Squadron in 1918. That's all I know. I don't know where he was deployed, when, to do what... Therefore, I have no idea how he met Barker.

• 2 years later...
On 23/06/2020 at 13:51, FROGSMILE said:

It’s a typical US Army officer’s uniform with so-called ‘garrison cap’ and the badge of rank of a lieutenant....

“Overseas Caps were issued to the American Expeditionary Force in Europe 1917-19. Both U.S. manufactured OS caps and caps "borrowed" from the British and French were worn by soldiers of the AEF. Enlisted soldiers OS caps were not provided with any branch color piping like the later garrison caps were.  However,  officer OS caps were provided with branch of service piping similar to the enlisted garrison caps, which has led to some confusion when attempting to identify the period of use of individual caps. Garrison caps are often incorrectly referred to as overseas caps.”  https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/254296-ae-f-‘trench’-overseas-caps/

There are some really amazing pictures on that aforementioned thread, Interesting to see pictures of Doughboys wearing French forage caps, and even Eddie Rickenbacker has sourced a R.F.C. Field Service Cap!

1 hour ago, Keith_history_buff said:

There are some really amazing pictures on that aforementioned thread, Interesting to see pictures of Doughboys wearing French forage caps, and even Eddie Rickenbacker has sourced a R.F.C. Field Service Cap!

Yes there was a mixture of British and French influence on the US Forces uniform during that period.  Many US Officers had their uniforms tailored in London by military outfitters who were competitive and at the top of their game after 5-years of war.  Also Sam Browne belts became popular for a while.  For enlisted men the French style bonnet de police but without any tassels became a far more convenient undress headdress than the impractical campaign hat that could be neither handily stowed in web equipment, nor tucked in a pocket.