Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John James Smith, RFA Sergeant 15030

Allergill

I would like to know more about the war of my great uncle John James Smith. He was the one of four brothers who served during WW1, & the only one not to return home. I have not been able to locate his service records, but have pieced together bits of information about him.

He was born in 1881 in North Yorkshire but I cannot find him on the 1901 census, I suspect that he was in the army by then. There is a family story that when John James joined up, his younger brother (my gt grandfather born 1884, who was awarded M.M. with 11th DLI) tried to join up with him but was sent home for being under age.

He married Mary Jane Elizabeth Spence in 1910 in North Yorkshire. The 1911 census records him, his wife & 1 month old son in Jubbulpore, India. His son's birth had been recorded there. He's a 28 year old Bombardier in 80th Battery RFA. Newspapers indicate that they, as part of 45th Brigade returned to Southampton in January 1912 & were then stationed in Kildare, Ireland. The following February his daughter's birth is registered  in Nass, the county town of Kildare. I believe that they were mobilised in August 1914, leaving Kildare for Dublin & on to Le Harve on the S.S. Cornishman.

After that I'm none too clear ...

I know he had another son, whose birth was registered in North Yorkshire, in December 1914.

I've found a copy of his Army form B244 which is undated. He signs it as Cpl. J.J. Smith. One of his witnesses, Acting bombardier Ernest Wilfred received a commission & became a Lieutenant on 1/1/1915,so  I presume it was written before that date.

His medal roll records him as Corpl. & Sgt.15030 15th Bde RFA. & lists the Victory, British & 14 Star.

He died on the 22/12/1918, aged 36, of Bronchial Pneumonia at 63rd General Hospital, Salonika. He's recorded as Sergeant 15030 XII Corps Ammunition Column RFA. He's buried in Mikra British cemetery, Kalamaria.

His grave registration report indicates that he'd been mentioned in dispatches. I found him (Sjt. J.J Smith 15030) in the London Gazette supplement 30740 page 6919 (11th June 1918), but I have no idea what for this relates to.

Is anyone able to help me to pad out any of his story?

Many thanks & any help appreciated.

Jackie

1 hour ago, Allergill said:

His grave registration report indicates that he'd been mentioned in dispatches. I found him (Sjt. J.J Smith 15030) in the London Gazette supplement 30740 page 6919 (11th June 1918), but I have no idea what for this relates to.

The Gazette shows on the header page (6917) that the subsequent list of names were Mentioned in Despatches for gallant conduct and distinguished services rendered between 21 Sep 1917 and 28 Feb 1918. Salonika.

Edited by sotonmate

From first landing in France your GU's 80 Battery of 15 Brigade RFA were with 5 Division. This Division remained in France until late 1917 (Oct or so) when it was moved to Italy. It returned to France in early 1918 and fought there until war's end. At some point your GU will have transferred to another unit as you have shown him as XII Corps Ammunition Column. XII Corps consisted of 3 other Divisions (22/26 and 60) which were a part of the Salonika Force. You will need to research if he had absence reasons (such as sickness or injury) which may have caused him to be posted elsewhere once returning to the fray. It is equally possible that at the end of the Italy diversion that he posted to Salonika without returning to France, maybe on promotion ?

17 hours ago, Allergill said:

Is anyone able to help me to pad out any of his story?

More post-story really - He has a Pension Card for his widow and children

567959515_SMITHJohnJames15030.png.cd23f45199d7a4d77d9bb45ba59cc166.png

Image courtesy of the Western Front Association and Fold 3

You may have much / all of this but hope its information is of use, or of interest at least - but possible inference(s) from this card

His widow got a pension for herself [for life normally] and an allowance for each child [until they were 16yo] so the payments would gradually reduce as they aged [or if they died earlier] - only the starting rate is shown [other records would normally have shown usual variation over time thereafter]

The card has [DEAD] and initials and a 22/12/1930 date - according to GWF current thinking interpretation of the DEAD means the claim was 'Dead', but not necessarily any recipient person was deceased.

In this case the claim going 'Dead' appears to be just about the 12/1930 date the youngest boy reached 16 [or at least should have reached] - I don't know if pensions were paid weekly in advance or arrears but this seems likely to be significant point gleaned from the card and would be pretty in keeping with the youngest child reaching 16 if they were paid in advance.

This to me means the widow is no longer getting any pension [according to this card anyway - there may be/would probably have been other later records] so it could be that she is dead by late 1930 - nor is a child getting anything at the date the claim goes 'dead' in 12/1930 [or is at least claim is audited/stamped as such in 1930].

Looking for any date(s) of death shortly before the claim went dead may possibly be useful [???] - you may know much more regarding the widow/family's circumstances so will have to leave it there for you [and possibly other GWF pals I suspect]

:-) M

Allergill

Further to your first sentence most of the war of your GU can be read about in the War Diary of 15 Brigade RFA. It seems that you can download it for free as a special offer during the pandemic period. Here is the link for you to choose :

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk.details/r/C7352197

You may get some references to your GU, possibly more likely nearer the end of the period of the France Diary, which ends prior to posting to Italy in Nov 1917. There is a second Diary for Italy, just a short one Nov 1917 to Mar 1918, but this is not yet digital, but it covers several units in the same text. Equally, should you get to read it by some method you may see if there is a ref to GU being posted anywhere from the unit prior to it returning to France.

There are also some entries in Forces War Records for various RFA soldiers named Smith but with  J or JJ initials. Three of them also have the right service number 15030 and show him as a Sergeant in 1916, one shows Sgt JJ Smith but with no number , other entries for J Smith RFA as a Gunner or Driver. Worth trying to see what they say as there might be more useful info to see. The database needs a subscription.

Reading back on this thread I now see that your GU must have been in Salonika between Sep 1917 and Feb 1918 for his Mention in Despatches, so he may not have gone to Italy at all !

Edited by sotonmate