Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Niel Shaw-Stewart 3rd RB

Michelle Young

• Admin

Probably one for @stiletto_33853

looking at his CWGC Records, there’s a GR report for Guillemont Rd which says plot 1 row K memorial cross to 9 officers 7 NCOs  of 3rd RB. 
Shaw-Stewart is believed  to be buried  at Delville Wood. Further down the page, George Marsden-Smedley is there. He has no known grave but the private memorial near the old station. the document has cancelled and something I can’t decipher scrawled across it. I wonder if these  men are buried in unknown graves? 

According to the entry in de Ruvigny, Niel Shaw Stewart was originally buried between Guillemont Station and the village:

NSS.jpg.1dfaddadbc9ca365acbb557afd52ddca.jpg

JP

• Admin

Many thanks.

Michelle

Some small errors in de Ruvigny, Neil was in "D" Coy which was commanded by Captain J. H. Smith and then Lieut. l. G. Butler. "D" Coy struggled to a German trench just before the station and High Holborn during which they lost all their officers and three quarters of the men. The loss of men and officers led to "D" Company being ordered to form a flank facing the village just south of the station, with "A" & "B" Coy taking High Holborn after fierce hand to hand combat with a trench garrison just before High Holborn

Neil was killed and initially buried between the station and the village by an old German trench "D" Coy used as a flank facing the village. One of the many questions I have concerning burials in Delville Wood Cemetery. Another Rifle Brigade officers burial there needs questioning also, that being Keesey of the 8th RB

Andy

Shaw Stewart, N., Lieut., 21-8-16, 3rd RB.JPG

Edited by stiletto_33853

• Admin

He has a memorial situated on the A 350 not far from his home. Hoping to get down there soon. So do you think these graves are erroneous Andy? 

To be honest Michelle I have not looked hard at the 3rd RB burials for the action on the 18th & 21st. Let's just say I have questions where certain matters do not add up. I have brought up the Keesey burial on the forum before. From evidence given by witness etc I seem to think that some of the body was recovered and buried but there might be some of his body left in Delville Wood.

Not so much erroneous but maybe some confusion and convenience, Shaw Stewart came from an influential family. Educated at Eton & University College, Oxford. Just my ramblings, no hard and fast proof though.

Andy

Edited by stiletto_33853

Michelle,

I have just checked over my notes on the action of the 3/9/16 which attacked over some of the area the 3rd struggled with on 18th & 21st Aug. I note that the artillery of the 20th Division had been bombarding the area covering eastern side of Guillemont and surrounding trenches for 48 hours before the attack and that the Germans in a retaliatory barrage had heavily shelled the area of the Quarry and station at 1.30pm on the 3/9/16.

Given that the burial return for Shaw Stewart states believed to be Shaw Stewart and the saturation by artillery of the area he fell I do have my doubts as to who is under that stone. This is one of a few from Delville Wood cemetery that I have a few concerns over, well not so much concerns but questions. George Marsden Smedleys body was never recovered as you are well aware of, but fell in the same vicinity as Neil was killed, although a little further back nearer new trench. This in turn has its own little tragic story attached, his friend John Lyndon Knowles was killed on the 18th whilst with the 7th RB by Delville Wood, only a couple of miles away. John Lyndon Knowles, Edward Pitcairn Jones and George Marsden Smedley were all friends of whom I have pictures of from the Knowles family enjoying some time at the Knowles residence in Nottingham. Pitcairn Jones died in May with the 9th RB, Marsden Smedley on the 21st & Knowles on the 18th. 3 friends all killed in a short space of time.

Andy

Screenshot 2020-06-22 at 18.59.49.png

Edited by stiletto_33853

John Lyndon Knowles

IMG_20170508_112612 copy.jpg

Marsden Smedley & Pitcairn Jones

IMG_20170508_112005 copy 2.jpg

• Admin

Thank you Andy. Always good to put faces to names. 

Michelle

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

The roadside memorial 

A4988FB6-AA96-4A9C-A2CC-C19F30A9B02F.jpeg

Thanks Michelle, good to see.

Andy