Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Guards Division Lesboeufs September 1916

Biltea

I’m following the exploits of the Guards Division at Lesboeufs on 25 September 1916, by battalion. I’m struggling to find a few items: - definitive divisional and brigade boundaries -  assembly positions for the various battalions involved -  the front line on the morning of the 25th and the positions of the three objective lines for that day.

I’ve looked at all the maps in the divisional diaries. However, they don’t always agree on the above points -  I’m using the BEF’s grid reference system.

I would be grateful if anyone could provide some or all the answers to the above questions, please.

Thanks - Bill

Bill, there is an excellent map in Randall Nicol's book 'Till The Trumpet Sounds Again', Volume II, Map 19, (Helion & Co, 2016) which shows the Brigade and Divisional boundaries, as well as the Objective lines (Green, Brown and Blue).

I would scan it and post it, but I'm sure it would break some Copyright law, so I'd better not.

The book is available to buy online, or perhaps a local library might be able to help.

Note- It's the Second volume you need (which covers August 1916- March 1919), and please be aware that while references are frequently made to the other Guards Regiments, this is essentially the history of the Scots Guards during WW1.

Hope this helps.

2/SG - Thanks very much for the information on Randall Nicol's book - that map sounds just the ticket. I've looked up the book on Amazon and it is quite expensive. So, I will wait a couple of weeks or so to see if the British Library re-opens. If not, I may be tempted to raid my piggy-bank!

Thanks again - Bill