Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identify regiment

Mike lee

This is my unidentifiable great uncle, he was either Sidney George  Lee RFA killed in Gallipoli in 1915, or Leslie Frank Lee  KRRC wounded in France and died in UK in 1919.

An article you may find interesting....if I have the correct family.

From The Western Daily Press, April 5th, 1916.

Courtesy of the British Newspaper Archive 

Screenshot_20200621-145521.jpg

From January 3rd, 1916.

Screenshot_20200621-150311.jpg

Edited by sadbrewer

The only obvious thing is the shoulder title (at the top of his arm, on his shoulder), which would rule out the KRRC (they had a straight 'KRR' title.

If it's Artillery it would probably be a Territorial unit, as it has a curved shap, which would have the name of his relevant County (e.g. Hants, Derbyshire, etc. That would have the letter T above RFA or RGA above the County, which doesn't obviously show.

Given what looks like a V in the middle, T/RFA/DEVON might be possible, but I'm not convinced.

Is that a badge on his arm?

Can't see T over RFA on the title?

Chris

55B4812A-D446-4F67-A842-8C33769C9108.jpeg.29537537f8f5706d9965c51f9cfde85f~2.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Dragoon said:

Can't see T over RFA on the title?

Chris

55B4812A-D446-4F67-A842-8C33769C9108.jpeg.29537537f8f5706d9965c51f9cfde85f~2.jpeg

As I said - '...doesn't obviously show'. I can't see one, either.

2 hours ago, Mike lee said:

This is my unidentifiable great uncle, he was either Sidney George  Lee RFA killed in Gallipoli in 1915, or Leslie Frank Lee  KRRC wounded in France and died in UK in 1919.

What regiments were the other two brothers in?  The curved title suggests an English County regiment to me.

A better quality image of the shoulder title will give you the answer you seek.

It would make it far easier for the experts here to identify.

• Admin

Is the image a photo of a photo? If so a scanned image will be much clearer.

Michelle 

I'm going to throw this out there (feel free to shoot it down) but what about the shoulder title being 'Essex'? Certainly to me what looks to be the 3rd letter is an S and its a relatively short word (5/ 6 letters). I can also (possibly with the eye of faith!) think I see the first letter as an E.

P

18 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

I'm going to throw this out there (feel free to shoot it down) but what about the shoulder title being 'Essex'? Certainly to me what looks to be the 3rd letter is an S and its a relatively short word (5/ 6 letters). I can also (possibly with the eye of faith!) think I see the first letter as an E.

P

ESSEX was what I saw too, which compelled my asking about the other brothers.  We know that one brother served in the Gloucestershire Regiment (shoulder title - ‘GLOSTER’).  If we can trace his medal index card and medal roll entry it might show if he also served with the Essex Regiment, which ostensibly at least is feasible.

E9809439-E0D5-476A-BF66-85843EF144EC.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

All I know for certain is that the 3 brothers who served in U.K. armies and  are registered as having served with  the Gloucestershire reg, RFA and KRRC ( as per CWGC records) . My grandfather Stanley Horace Lee  MM and bar was an engineer with the 7th brigade RCE attached to the Canadian 3rd division.

2 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

As I said - '...doesn't obviously show'. I can't see one, either.

Sorry Steven, I was supposed to quote what you said.

1 hour ago, Mike lee said:

All I know for certain is that the 3 brothers who served in U.K. armies and  are registered as having served with  the Gloucestershire reg, RFA and KRRC ( as per CWGC records) . My grandfather Stanley Horace Lee  MM and bar was an engineer with the 7th brigade RCE attached to the Canadian 3rd division.

The photo that you’ve posted does not make sense for any of those units.  The medal rolls often indicate some other regiments in which medal recipients served overseas and that could reveal a match with the shoulder title.  If you have the original photo can you please scan rather than photograph it?  It’s quite feasible to identify the title, it’s quite a good view, but simply needs better resolution.  Phone or other digital cameras are not ideal when you want to identify insignia.

Edited by FROGSMILE