Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identification

Guest Graham Henshaw

Guest Graham Henshaw

This is a photo of my grandfather James Shufflebotham who sadly I never met. Can anyone identify his rank and regiment. The spurs are a clue I expect. He was born on the border of Cheshire and Stafford but was living in Manchester when he joined up. I have checked the medal rolls but as there are several I don't know which is the right James. Does the monkey signify anything. The stamp in the bottom left says TIRVIA I think but it is not very clear.

I know nothing about his war service other than he survived. Any help will be greatly appreciated

Graham Henshaw

post-23-1108760867.jpg

Royal Field Artillery,from the shoulder title.

Could it not be RHA?

Just going by the spurs.

Mark

I think it could be either, but I would guess RHA.

Spurs are no surprize. All guns were horse drawn early in the war with the exception of some really heavy stuff.

DrB

;)

Guest Graham Henshaw

Thanks for the info, showing my ignorance, what's the difference between Royal Field Artillery and Royal Horse Artillery and do you think he's a corporal?

Graham

Graham,

Not a Corporal. He would have two Chevrons on his upper arms if he was.

The title on his shoulder is interesting and would probably date the photo post Feb 1917. I say this because it looks like what is on his shoulder is a slip on title that were introduced in 1916--The picture is not clear enough to be 100% certain. They were meant to slip over the shoulder straps and in theory replace all the metal titles (This never even came close to being fully implimented). In Feb 1917 the BEF ordered these slips to be sewn directly to the sleeve right below the shoulder seam of the jacket (Order 2137, 13 Feb 1917). This again was not commonly done but does occasionally show up in photos. I think that is the title on your soldiers shoulder.

Any chnace of getting an enlargementb of the shoulder area. I really can't tell whether it RFA, RGA or RHA.

The difference between RHA and RFA is that the Royal Horse Artillery supported mounted (Cavalry) formations and were initially equiped with a lighter field gun than the RFA (13lb for RHA versus's 18lb for RFA). The RFA supported the Infantry and formed the Artillery components of Infantry Divisions and were equiped with 18lb and 4.5" Howitzers. The Royal Garrison Artillery primarily handled the big guns above 4.5" and the heavy mortars.

Also, is that stamp Italian? Does anyone know if Tirvia is any town in Italy?

Joe Sweeney

The difference between RHA and RFA is that the Royal Horse Artillery supported mounted (Cavalry) formations and were initially equiped with a lighter field gun than the RFA (13lb for RHA versus's 18lb for RFA). The RFA supported the Infantry and formed the Artillery components of Infantry Divisions ...

On the whole that is true, but there were several RHA units serving with infantry divisions on the Western Front (and indeed elsewhere); eg. L Battery RHA served with the 29th Division from 1915 onwards.

Guest Graham Henshaw

Hi me again.

I found a likely candidate in the medals rolls.

Royal Artillery regiment no 740916

Labour Corp regiment no 475197.

But a Corporal! What does the chevron on his sleeve signify if not corporal. Will the regiment no. help me find more about him and where would I look for this.

Thanks

Graham

He could also be this man Graham.

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...1&resultcount=2

The fact he is listed as a CPL does not mean much. He could have been promoted after the photo was taken. The spurs he is wearing in the photo may indicate he was a Driver as the above man was.

I think this number is a territorial one. If you download the MIC's and post them here there are a few experts that should be able to tell you more about the units which may assist in narrowing down which man he was.

Rgds

Tim D

If you just outline all the notations made on the card hopefully someone can assist with interpretation.

Rgds

Tim

Guest Graham Henshaw

Hi. Me again I may have found him! I was sorting my dads war momentos and came across a cap badge, see photo, showing a cannon, which I believe from other threads is the Royal Field Artillery. Am I correct?. Dad was in the Royal Signals and in WW2. I have a photo of him in uniform and his cap badge is different. I am assuming it must therefore be my grandfathers.

The Medal card details are as follows WO/372/18

R.F.A. Driver Regiment No. 706028

Medals Roll Page

Victory (T.F ) R.F.A 119B 3867

British " " " "

I am keen to know where he served. Can his regiment number help in this.

Graham

post-23-1109890692.jpg