Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Army Service Corps,Expenditionary Forces Canteen

jimk1969

23 minutes ago, jimk1969 said:

Do you know of anyone who has hired a researcher through the website Forces War Records? I have been considering hiring a researcher that Forces War Records offers but I haven't made up my mind. 

I doubt very much that you will find any more than you already have.  He might’ve been famous in Hollywood, but in the British Army he was an elderly junior officer running canteen facilities in the rear areas.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Jim,

I have sent you a PM regarding a researcher, in case nobody recommends one through the Forces War Records website.

Regards,

JMB

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Jim and anyone else interested,

I share your frustration as Taylor is also of interest to me - not for his death in 1922 but for the fact he served with RASC (EFC) - and its predecessors which I am researching.

The 5th Battalion Royal Fusiliers thing is a puzzle. I wondered if it was an administrative convenience, could recruits perhaps have been enlisted into it en mass to undergo their training at the Imperial Recruit Depot in Newfoundland? Once arrived at Hounslow they could then be allocated to Regiments and Corps. Maybe someone on here could say if that was a likely practice. 

By 1918 the fact was recruits could specify whatever unit they wished but their allocation was determined by their skills, fitness and above everything - the army's needs.

I think it very unlikely a 46 year old with zero military experience would be promoted to Sgt Major in a line infantry regiment in around 12 weeks!

His status essentially was none-combatant. All EFC officer ranks were described as Temporary, and even Honorary and Temporary at the start of the war, and all NCO's as Acting. His appointment to Captain was probably a local decision and he did not retain it on leaving - nor do I think he would have any place in the reserves.

Canteen soldier,

Thank you for your message. I agree it is frustrating trying to find information on Taylor's short military service. I understand that his record may not exist due to the short period of time he was in the British Army. I do know he lied about his age and date birth when he enlisted. I understand he was with the 5th Royal Fusiliers then with the EFC and was stationed at Dunkirk and he gave testimony in another soldiers court martial.  Taylor is a fascinating individual and there are many layers to his personality and life. My interest is in painting a better picture of the man and putting the pieces of the puzzle together. I appreciate everyone's help here on Great War Forum. Jim

Hello Jim,

The problem is he was there but the 5th Bn Royal Fusiliers wasn't. I have seen the stuff on Taylorology, but there is no sign of a service record to confirm it or otherwise. A Courts Martial woud be the business - there were cases of theft from EFC stores but I have none in 1919 - so far. The promotion to Sgt Major - maybe it did happen but probably only in the context of assembling recruits from the Americas at the Imperial Recruit Depot. I'm guessing that most of those employed there would not be A1 grade soldiers, there was a critical need for men in France not Newfoundland - the names I've traced so far were B3 grade - and one was over 50, definitely not infantrymen. Maybe it was the old story of getting the recruits to organise themselves - appoint temporary NCO's - a rich and famous mature guy who had handled casts in Hollywood would be a natural choice. There is a lady in the USA writing a cold case thing and I am trying to help her out with this period of his life. Good luck yourself.

Canteen soldier,

I would like to share with you this newspaper article of a soldier who knew Taylor during WW1. His name is Frederick W. Clark. I hope this will help you and your research of Taylor's military service. Thank you. Jim

Here is the newspaper article. Please feel free to contact me here or at my email address hersheybaby3@gmail.com if you have any questions. Thanks. Jim

CincinnatiTimesStar0211b-1.jpg