Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

All Quiet on the Western Front

AOK4

I did some battlefield touring yesterday with some friends from Germany. It is extremely calm everywhere. We were on our own at Tyne Cot Cemetery in the early afternoon on a sunny day... It reminded me of some 30-35 years ago when there were hardly any tourists around. One could say there wasn't a cat to be seen, but that wasn't true as we were followed from the moment we arrived until we left by a young cat, probably abandoned by its owners in the area.

Plenty of sites are closed or have some absurd corona rules to follow (some one way signs in the middle of Langemark German cemetery come to mind). Bayernwald is closed for renovations apparently.

Jan

DSC04031.JPG

DSC04033.JPG

cant wait, trouble is 7 or 14 day holiday means 14 day isolation after, bosses would not like it, especially as intend going at least three times between now and november.

Unfortunately, things aren't as quiet everywhere (which is partly good, but partly bad as well): https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/2020/06/29/afstandsregels-zijn-moeilijk-te-volgen-tijdens-last-post-in-iepe/

(I hope an English version of the article will be posted later)

In short: visitors aren't allowed at the Last Post ceremony, but they just gather behind the fences and don't comply with social distancing.

My German friends had noticed this as well during their visit.

Jan

On ‎29‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 13:59, AOK4 said:

Unfortunately, things aren't as quiet everywhere (which is partly good, but partly bad as well): https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/2020/06/29/afstandsregels-zijn-moeilijk-te-volgen-tijdens-last-post-in-iepe/

(I hope an English version of the article will be posted later)

In short: visitors aren't allowed at the Last Post ceremony, but they just gather behind the fences and don't comply with social distancing.

My German friends had noticed this as well during their visit.

Jan

We're off to Ieper in September and I can't wait as it has been far too long since our last visit to the Westhoek.

I haven't got a clue how we will  cope with the Covid-19 rules at that moment but we shall follow the general guidelines. I cannot believe one sentance in your news article: "the people at the Meense Poort laughed away the comment of keeping distance".

Christ - I would have cancelled the event straight away!  If I look at the pictures of people in England boozing it up yesterday (in London?) , I feel sad.

Silly, silly & selfish people.

So, in short, I'm looking forward to Ieper in September 2020!!!!

IMG_2368.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

As people at the Last Post ceremony don't respect social distancing, it is now obligatory to wear a face mask under and near the Menin Gate (I don't know whether it's only during the ceremony or not).

https://www.focus-wtv.be/nieuws/veilige-afstand-probleem-bij-last-post-nu-strengere-regels

https://www.lastpost.be/en/news/224/update-coronavirus-20072020

we arrived back in England Sunday, face masks were around 50/50 in supermarkets. Monday we are told its mandatory, I dont know if there is an exemption available for those who need it from thei doctors. back over in 5 or 6 weeks, hope everything is relaxed by then.

we did notice , when the Tabac's are open there are a lot of cars parked outside, so presumably inside is busy. Smoking and drinking may be difficult for mask wearers.. :ph34r:

Edited by chaz