Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7151 A/Sgt Howard Baker Daniels MM - 281 (Siege) Battery RGA

Chris_W

Good evening all,

I recently came into possession of the MM for 7151 Gunner Howard Baker Daniels and I am in the process of conducting some research into his experiences. I've managed to get some good information from the National Archives and through Ancestry. So far I have established the following details:

• Born 1880 in Hampstead, London.
  • 1901 Census - stationed at Dover Castle (Gunner - RGA - unit unknown).
  • 1911 Census - stationed at Fort Efford, Plymouth (Gunner - 107 (Siege) Coy RGA).
  • Sep 1914 - mobilised as part of 107 (Seige) Coy RGA.
  • 23 Aug 1917 - KIA - Sgt or A/Sgt - Memeber of 281 (Siege) Bty RGA.
  • 17 Sep 17 - Gazetted for the MM.
  • Buried in the Belgian Battery Corner Cemetery, Ypres.

It would appear that his service records did not survive the blitz - the only military documentation I can find are his medal entitlements (He is down as 'Cpl') and his personal effects lists upon his death.

What I would like to understand/know more about is:

• What his low service number tells us about when/where he attested.
  • What he was doing at Dover Castle in 1901.
  • His journey from mobilisation to his death. I know 107 (Siege) Coy became 5 & 6 (Siege) Btys but how he got from there to Ypres is a mystery to me.
  • What he was doing when he was killed - the date he died and the location of his burial possibly suggests the early part of the Third Battle of Ypres.
  • If there is any way of finding out more about his actions that earned him the MM.
  • Where 281 (Siege) Bty were raised and what guns/transport did they use.

I have a theory that Howard ended up in 281 Bty, which was seemingly newly arrived in theatre (c.Mar 1917), due to being an experienced J/SNCO rather than a BCR and so was posted in to give the freshly arrived soldiers the benefit of his knowledge and 2.5 years of war fighting experience. In my mind, that is why he'd also possibly be A/Sgt - an old sweat in a new Bty.

Any light anyone can shed on any of this or anything related would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Chris

Medal Roll.jpg

Headstone.jpg

London Gazette 17 Sep 17.pdf

His MM was noted as awarded in the Bexhill newspapers as a local man. He is commemorated on the Bexhill Memorial

His Service Number suggests an enlistment Feb 1901, joining at Dover and thus at the Castle in the 1901 Census.

Info from near numbers   eg

7159 Geo E Holmes Attested London 4/2/1901 on 7/5 basis, joined Dover 6/2/1901 No 1 Depot Eastern Div RGA

7158 Martin Coughlan         Attested 6/2/1901 London, on 7/5 basis, joined Dover 7/2/1901 No 1 Depot Eastern Div RGA

7155 attested 4/2/01 joined Dover 6/2/01 No 1 Depot Eastern Div RGA

etc

These were all men from London so I think Daniels followed same route. Normally he would have been discharged at end of 12 years in 1913. Presumably he extended service (possibly in Reserve) so that he kept his number when war was declared.

I note that his father, Baker Philip Daniels 1840-1895 was a Chartered Accountant.

Charlie

Charlie,

Thanks for the info regarding the service numbers - that follows given what is known about his family background.

Interesting thought about the 7/5 basis which I had not considered. It is an assumption I've made that he was still with 107 (Siege) Coy at the outbreak of war. Without his full service record I guess it is impossible to ascertain whether that is the case or, that he joined the Reserve and was called up later on in the war?

I don't suppose you have a link/screenshot of the Bexhill newspapers detailing his MM?

Thanks

Chris

Headstone has Mr I Daniels, 84 Warrior Square, St Leonards on Sea, Sussex  -who is he ?

1 minute ago, Chris_W said:

detailing his MM?

It doesn' give anything other than Bexhill man. ie they picked it off the Gazette entry, I suspect.

8 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Headstone has Mr I Daniels, 84 Warrior Square, St Leonards on Sea, Sussex  -who is he ?

Is this Ingram Daniels, his elder brother (a stockbroker- retired by that time ?)

Ingram Daniels moved to Bexhill c 1913 and as eldest brother was probably Howard's 'next of kin' representative. Since Ingram went onto Parish Council etc it is probably why commemoration is at Bexhill ?

I'd agree. Their Father died in 1895 and Mother in 1910 so it makes sense that, as Howard was single, his eldest brother would be the NOK.

The medal arrived today with a copy of the MIC which has Howard named as How. B. which is why I couldn't find it previously. It shows he was entitled to the Victory and War medals only which indicates that he didn't depoly with 107 (Siege) Coy/5 & 6 (Siege) Btys in 1914 as I previoulsy thought.

On the MIC it has notes Roll - "RGA 102B" - does anyone know if this refers to '102 Battery RGA' or to something else entirely?

Thanks

MIC.jpg

I think that's just the identification of the ledger where a record was made of Cpl. Daniels' entitlement to the Victory and British War medals

DANIELS H B  SGT. 281ST SIEGE BATTERY RGA MM L/GAZ; 17.9.17. KIA BELGIUM 23.8.17  BURIED BELGIUM BATTERY  CORNER CEMETERY.BORN AND ENLISTED UPPER TOOTING SON OF BAKER  AND MARY DANIELS SCHEDULE NUMBER  NO 100244 ONE OF 2 AWARDS FOR THE ACTION , OTHER ONE TO GNR W J NEATH 281 SB/RGA..AWARD FOR LATE JULY 1917 PRELUDE TO 3RD YPRES. BEST W, HOWARD

Howard,

Thanks for that, reaffirms many of my assumptions and conclusions. I don't suppose you have any more detail on the the action which earned him the MM - is that what the schedule number refers to?

Thanks

Chris

Gnr Neath's award was noted in the local paper 4th Aug 1917 so his must have been an immediate award ?

Courtesy FindmyPast

486723538_GWFNeathWJ281RGAMM.JPG.2df86a03f85f0855233ca0c74a74ef0f.JPG

Edited by charlie962

War Diary is here at National Archives. Free to download if you register.

Since it is free I've had a quick look. Couldn't see anything for MM (but do check).

23/8/17 11.30am  Severe hostile shelling of new Command Post and road adjoining. 1 sergeant killed (sgt Daniels H), 1 officer wounded and 2 ORs severely wounded.

Charlie

This is informed guesswork,however I think the award is for preliminary artillery work preparing for the attack on 31.7.17 first day 3rd Ypres.Most likely around the 26th to 30th.july.What was it for...?most likely for :

*putting out a fire in the gunpit/ammunition store./camouflage netting.

*rescuing wounded from a gunpit u/h/fire

*carrying on firing when the rest of the crew were casualties.

In essence dealing with a situation caused by counter battery fire.Often a mix of all 3.He and Gnr Neath are almost certainly decorated for the same act'

best w, Howard

8 hours ago, collectorsguide said:

In essence dealing with a situation caused by counter battery fire.

I agree. The War Diary shows severe hostile shelling on many days. Some days casualties severe.

Neath has a surviving service record. There is no MM info that I could see but I did note that a couple of months later he was noted as an officer's servant. There are two mentions of Officers' quarters being demolished and casualties on one of these. Possible that Neath and Sgt Daniels were in the Battery HQ ? All supposition !

Charlie

Charlie, Howard,

Many thanks for your insights - I've already found and read through the War Diary - unfortunately there doesn't appear to be any reference to the actions that led to the MM being awarded. Not by name at any rate but that's unsurprising.

This is a presentation that I've put together to display alongside his MM, hopefully it provides a personal insight to the reader and does Howard a degree of justice:

Howard Baker Daniels MM

Sergeant, 7151

Royal Garrison Artillery

Howard Baker Daniels was born in Tooting, London in 1880. He was the 10th of 11 children born to Baker Philip and Mary Daniels.

Along with those of millions of others, most of Howard’s military records were destroyed during the Blitz. However, his service number indicates that Howard attested into the Royal Garrison Artillery (RGA) at the beginning of February 1901, most likely for a total of 12 years – 7 years in the regular forces and 5 in the Army reserves. He was posted to Eastern Division RGA, No.1 Depot located in Dover Castle.

In the 1911 census, Howard is recorded as being a Gunner in 107 (Siege) Company RGA stationed at Fort Efford near Plymouth. Their role was the defence of the country’s critical ports and naval bases.

By the time of the First World War, Howard should have already left the Army, having completed his 12 years of military service in 1913. However, because his records show that he retained his original 1901 service number, it is likely that he extended his service period to include additional time in the reserves. This was perhaps quite lucky as 107 (Siege) Company was disbanded to form 5 & 6 (Siege) Batteries RGA and sent to France in September 1914.

In late 1916 Howard was mobilised and sent to France as part of 281 (Siege) Battery, arriving on or around the 22nd of March 1917. This mechanised battery was equipped with BL 6-inch 26 cwt howitzers.

According to the battery’s war diary, Howard was killed in action at approximately 1130 on the 23rd of August 1917 when the battery Command Post came under severe hostile shelling. At the time of his death, 281 (Siege) Battery were conducting fire missions in support of The Third Battle of Ypres, also known as The Battle of Passchendaele.

On the 17th of September 1917, it was announced in the London Gazette that Howard had been awarded the Military Medal which, at the time, was the non-commissioned ranks’ equivalent to the Military Cross and was awarded for “Acts of gallantry and devotion to duty under fire”.

According to the battery’s war diary for this period, German artillery fire (both HE and gas) onto the battery position was heavy, frequent, and causing significant damage & casualties. Although no detail of his citation survives, it is likely that Howard was involved in the rescuing of the wounded or fighting fires in the gun pits & ammunition stores.

Howard is buried in the Belgian Battery Corner Cemetery, Ypres, Belgium. His headstone reads:

“REQUIESCAT IN PACE”

"However, because his records show that he retained his original 1901 service number, it is likely that he extended his service period to include additional time in the reserves. This was perhaps quite lucky as 107 (Siege) Company was disbanded to form 5 & 6 (Siege) Batteries RGA and sent to France in September 1914."

Don't think this is correct. He didn't extend his service - he would have had no choice but to become a reservist.  He was simply in the reserves when the war broke out so was recalled. 107 Company was not disbanded. It was an RGA coastal defence battery and so would not serve in France. Members of the Company were transferred to existing batteries or batteries being formed for overseas service.

His medal index card shows that he did not serve overseas until after 1 Jan 1916 and that the highest substantive rank he held was Corporal. The Medal Roll shows that his first overseas unit was 281 Siege Battery so checking what date they went overseas would be a good starting point for his overseas service i.e. probably March 1917.

Is the date of award of the MM a bit too close to his death to be the date that he earned the MM - is it more likely that he earned it maybe a month earlier than that??

You might note he is an Acting Sergeant , not a Sergeant - there's a big difference!!   I note Sgt Morgan was killed on 12/6/17 - a likely time for Daniels to be made A/Sgt.

If you can track down through CWGC the two men killed on 17/8/17 and one died of wounds , then find the newspaper listing of these, you should find the names of the 19 wounded men also.

Mark

Edited by kildaremark

Mark,

Thanks for all your constructive comments - genuinely helpful.

This is certainly not my areas of expertise, I am just a beginner in all of this. If his service (regular and reserve) was up in 1913, would he not have been 'out out'? Or was it similar to the modern day regular reserve in that he would have been held regardless?

The records I have seen describe that 107 Siege Coy was "mobilised in Aug 1914 and used to form 5 & 6 Siege Btys" which says to me that it ceased to exist?

"Is the date of award of the MM a bit too close to his death to be the date that he earned the MM - is it more likely that he earned it maybe a month earlier than that??" - I didn't mean to imply that he won his MM in the action that he was killed but reading it again, I can see that it could be read that way. I'll make the distinction clearer.

Chris

Interesting that the Command Post of the battery was moved owing to hostile shelling on the previous day, and then he was unfortunate enough to be in it the next morning when it was hit. again.  If you look through the war diary and count up the number of casualties wounded over the Summer, it was quite high - I think the NCOs would have been under considerable pressure in this battery so having a good man (worthy of a MM) was invaluable during this period. 17 casualties on 17/7/17, 32 other ranks gassed on 13/7/17. Also worth recording how many days they reported hostile shelling on their position. At one point, it looks like they were being hit by hostile shelling every day. I also see they suffered an ammunition fire on 17/6/17.

i think I would have preferred to be somewhere else than with that battery. They were clearly in a very poor position when you consider the amount of counter battery shelling that hit them.  A quick glance at the war diaries of the other batteries in 39 Bde does not give the same impression of being hit by as much counter battery fire.

Mark

Edited by kildaremark

5 hours ago, kildaremark said:

Don't think this is correct. He didn't extend his service - he would have had no choice but to become a reservist.  He was simply in the reserves when the war broke out so was recalled.

As a 1901 enlistment his 12 years would normally have terminated 1913 with no mobilization obligation Aug 1914. Hence why I suggested he must have extended his service beyond 12 years to keep the same service number ?**

Charlie

PS    Mark,  useful comparison there with other Btys in the Bde. I did think they suffered. There are a number of accounts by gunner officers about the bad choice of gun position made by a staff officer  looking at a map and not being on the ground to realise the folly of his choice. Of course counter battery fire was the warfare practiced by both sides. Flash spotters and sound rangers etc....

**edit-  I've just been looking at the Service Record for another man whose Reserve period ended Feb 1913 and he 'Re-engaged Section D Reserve' extending his Reserve by 4 years. So he was mobilized 5/8/14 and kept his 1901 number. Daniels probably did likewise ?  What am I saying? He was still serving with the colours in 1911 so must have extended his colour service !

Edited by charlie962

• 3 years later...
  • Admin

Welcome to the forum. Perhaps if you start a new thread about him, people will be able to assist with your search.