Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pension index card

pjw800

Hi All.

This Shocked the entire Family when i discovered this card (of my great grandfather) and had to tell my mother and her sister, that their father had at least a half sister they previously had no knowledge of.

As you can see Beatrice Barrett is named (Barrett being the maiden name of his wife Kate) I have since obtained both the birth certificate and baptism record of Beatrice, confirming the info here is correct, neither of which include the fathers name.

Kate and Albert married in 1913. I am fairly confident Beatrice never lived with her mother even after Albert's death in 1917. Kate Remarried to a Frederick James in 1918.

I am struggling to find any trace of Beatrice after her Baptism. Are there any clues on here that could help me find out anything further? I noticed a comment to the right of her that appears to say £3 Grant Paid 5/6/17, I have no idea what this might mean. The Guardian reference does match with the Emma Jane Day and address in Bournemouth when compared to 1911 census, unfortunately though the census was taken slightly before her birth in 1911. I guess the fact that this record is dated 27/11/17 means she survived at least up to the age of 6. or does this mean much longer than that. If she were to have either died or moved elsewhere before the age of 16. would we expect to see this noted?. Would really appreciate any help or advice where i can research to solve this. Many thanks

AEG war pension card.jpg

If you check the 1939 Register for Beatrice, born 08/08/1911, married or widowed you get only 4 results. It may be worth checking the marriage records. https://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/results?datasetname=1939+register&sid=103&firstname=beatrice&firstname_variants=true&yearofbirth=1911&yearofbirth_offset=0&dayofbirth=08&monthofbirth=08&maritalstatus=married~widowed

Regards,

Alf McM

Going through the marriage records for England and Wales, the earliest she could legally have married was August 1927. If she hadn't married by the end of September 1939 she would appear on the 1939 Register  - hopefully under her birth names. The birth records show her with no middle forenames.

Between Q3 1927 and Q4 1939 there are 8 marriages for a Beatrice Barrett, no middle names. While we don't know how old each was, one simple check is to look for deaths in England & Wales for a Beatrice with the relevant new surname born 1911 +/- 1 year, (to pick up those deaths pre 1970 where the birth year is estimated). The source I'm using covers deaths to 2007 when Beatrice would have been 96 if still alive. Unfortunately either no matches or where there is a possible match for the year the woman has a middle name.

So she may have moved overseas, (or at least outside England & Wales), took on another surname - her stepfathers for example, adopted a middle name or she was widowed \divorced and subsequently remarried. In the latter case there may be some milage in working through those 8 married Beatrices and their husbands to see if they can be tracked down on the 1939 Register.

I know those are negatives but hopefully addresses those lines of enquiry.

Peter

Edited by PRC
Typo

Thanks Alf

I Had done exactly this before on FMP, but just decided to repeat the process, Mine came up with 5, I Immeadiately discounted all but 1 as they were transcribed with wrong year on 3 and 8/8/1911 was her husbands, not her dob, the Nicholas one in staffs looks like a possible match as i think their is a marriage match (including middle initials) in wellington somerset. much closer to home. Will follow this up and update

Thanks so much for your help

The £3 was a lump sum death grant (not to be confused with the war gratuity).

Craig

2 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

The £3 was a lump sum death grant (not to be confused with the war gratuity).

Craig

Thanks for that Craig

Hi Paul,

I see from your tree that you have covered the usual channels. Have you found anything else regarding Beatrice's guardian, Emma Jane Day......searching for the connection.

Regards Barry 

Hi Barry Emma day is attached to beatrice as an alternative mother which opens the relevant tree...many thanks.

I noticed Both Kate's Father Alfred,and Charles Jackman Day (Emma's Husband) were Painter/Decorators

Edited by pjw800
extra info