Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military Medal Gazette query

Marigold1

I have a soldier from Loughborough who apparently, according to  newspaper reports, won the Military Medal in 1917 for saving some French civilians from a burning  house amid shellfire.

The soldier was Pte. 22511 Frederick (Fred; full names Frederick Herbert) Redfern of the 11th (Midlland Pioneers) Battalion of the Leicestershire Regiment.

I cannot find his award in The Gazette. Can anyone help, please.

Marigold

I cant find either sorry

Newspapers are not always accurate what they report...

perhaps it was an ungazetted French Medal Militaire ??

43 minutes ago, Marigold1 said:

won the Military Medal in 1917

Are you sure it was the Military Medal ? If so could it have been the French Medaille Militaire ?

The only article I saw said he had gained distinction for gallantry and determination on 13 May 1917

That could be anything from a Divisional Commander's commendation to a full medal.

Charlie

Reading the Loughborough Echo for 13th July 1917 it does indeed seem to be the Divisional Commander's commendation. There would be a Certificate. It may be mentioned in the War Diary at Battalion or Divisional level  ( 11th Bn was part of 6th Division)?

edit, the IWM have an example but not viewable online

Edited by charlie962

Dear Coldstreamer and Charlie,

Thank you so much for your help. I have now checked the French listings of Medaille Militaire and there is nothing listed. I have also checked the relevant war diaries and nothing there either. So it does look as though it might have been a Divisional Commander's recommendation, as Charlie suggested.

Marigold