Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Short Admiralty Type 184 Seaplane

researchingreg

I am a member of a Facebook Group "Memories of East Sussex" and I saw this post "Seaford Bay Seaplane Station WW2", which was obviously WW1 showing a Short 184, so I looked it up and it was the the Newhaven Seaplane Base which housed the Short Admiralty Type 184 Two Seat reconnaisance, bomber and torpedo seaplane (shown in the photo) 242 Squadron of the RAF was formed and based here from 15 August 1918. This squadron carried out anti-submarine patrols over the English Channel. See attached Photos: What I did not realise was 

The Short Type 184 was the first aircraft ever to torpedo and sink a ship.. Here is an extract from Wikipedia: On 12 August 1915 one of these, piloted by Flight Commander Charles Edmonds, was the first aircraft in the world to attack an enemy ship with an air-launched torpedo. However, the ship had already been crippled by a torpedo fired by the British submarine E14.

However, on 17 August 1915, another Turkish ship was sunk by a torpedo of whose origin there was no doubt. On this occasion Flight Commander Edmonds torpedoed a Turkish transport ship a few miles north of the Dardanelles. His formation colleague, Flt Lt G B Dacre, was forced to land on the water owing to engine trouble but, seeing an enemy tug close by, taxied up to it and released his torpedo, sinking the tug. Without the weight of the torpedo Dacre was able to take off and return to the Ben-My-Chree Base. I found all this interesting so I thought I would share Short_184.jpg.16270a4b265faca85f34498e7b3626a1.jpgit
994881063_SeafordBaySeaplaneStation.jpg.45dc4bf1b79902340d2acdfb91ef01fd.jpg

23 hours ago, researchingreg said:

I am a member of a Facebook Group "Memories of East Sussex" and I saw this post "Seaford Bay Seaplane Station WW2", which was obviously WW1 showing a Short 184, so I looked it up and it was the the Newhaven Seaplane Base which housed the Short Admiralty Type 184 Two Seat reconnaisance, bomber and torpedo seaplane (shown in the photo) 242 Squadron of the RAF was formed and based here from 15 August 1918. This squadron carried out anti-submarine patrols over the English Channel. See attached Photos: What I did not realise was 

The Short Type 184 was the first aircraft ever to torpedo and sink a ship.. Here is an extract from Wikipedia: On 12 August 1915 one of these, piloted by Flight Commander Charles Edmonds, was the first aircraft in the world to attack an enemy ship with an air-launched torpedo. However, the ship had already been crippled by a torpedo fired by the British submarine E14.

However, on 17 August 1915, another Turkish ship was sunk by a torpedo of whose origin there was no doubt. On this occasion Flight Commander Edmonds torpedoed a Turkish transport ship a few miles north of the Dardanelles. His formation colleague, Flt Lt G B Dacre, was forced to land on the water owing to engine trouble but, seeing an enemy tug close by, taxied up to it and released his torpedo, sinking the tug. Without the weight of the torpedo Dacre was able to take off and return to the Ben-My-Chree Base. I found all this interesting so I thought I would share Short_184.jpg.16270a4b265faca85f34498e7b3626a1.jpgit
994881063_SeafordBaySeaplaneStation.jpg.45dc4bf1b79902340d2acdfb91ef01fd.jpg

Thank you for sharing this.  The second image shows Newhaven (a sub-station to Calshot) in 1918 with the Type G seaplane shed 180 x 60ft (right) under construction, with the 120 x 50ft double fronted shed on the left.  The redundant railway carriages were, it is believed, used as accommodation for officers.  The large 'N' on the fin of the Short 184 signifies that this is a Newhaven based machine.