Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Indian Army research

stephenh

I am trying to research several indian soldiers belonging to indian regiments in and around the Great War. Finding it difficult to locate any resources and was wondering if anybody could give me some tips as to where I can go for research,i.e any online resources out there?

Regards

Stephen

I don't think any records of Indian Army ORs have survived - there is a card index of IA Officers for WW1 in the India Office in London, but think that is about it?

I put "Indian Army muster books" in a search engine and got the following return:

Indian Army Records of Service (Personal Files) c1900-1950. [iOR: L/MIL/14/237]

This is an India & Oriental Office reference and might only be officers but might be worth checking out all the same.

• 2 years later...

The N&MP have republished several of the Indian Army regimental histories lately, mainly covering the WW1 period and up to the 1930's.

There is also "Sepoys in the Trenches" by G.Corrigan covering the Indians on the Western Front in 1914 and 1915 and "With the Indians in France" (reprinted, also, by N&MP) by J.Willcocks amongst other less available tomes for general histories.

Dave.