Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British recipients of the Croix de Guerre

11th Queen's

Hi, 

Does any one know if there is a list of British recipients of the Croix de Guerre held anywhere? I've had a quick search on Ancestry and google and couldn't see anything obvious. I have a postcard of a Cpl in the Queen's regiment with both a MM and a Croix de Guerre and was hoping I might be able to identify him, by cross referring the MM and Croix lists.

Many thanks in advance.,

Simon

one for forum pal foreigngong to answer, hes the expert

There's an appendix to C T Akinson's regimental history of the South Wales Borderers that lists gallantry awards made to men of the regiment. I can't recall whether it listed WW1 foreign awards too, but was wondering if other regimental histories could contain such a list, and if there is such an appendix for the Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment). I don't know if there is a forum pal who can be considered a subject matter expert for this regiment, who could comment further.

On 18/06/2020 at 14:23, Keith_history_buff said:

There's an appendix to C T Akinson's regimental history of the South Wales Borderers that lists gallantry awards made to men of the regiment. I can't recall whether it listed WW1 foreign awards too, but was wondering if other regimental histories could contain such a list, and if there is such an appendix for the Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment). I don't know if there is a forum pal who can be considered a subject matter expert for this regiment, who could comment further.

I have the 11th Queen's battalion history and the WW1 Queen's regimental history. The 11th battalion history does have a list of MM & CdeG awards, but there is no one named with both; there is no list of awards in the regimental history unfortunately. Thanks again for your advice.

Simon

58 minutes ago, 11th Queen's said:

Thanks Keith. It's a French one so I'll take a look.

I've not looked at any of the foreign awards to British military personnel files, but here's the recent feedback from someone that has. In the inverse sense, I have accessed the British gallantry awards to French army (two files). I had a similar experience. As these are grainy images, you have to start from scratch with creating your own transcription.

On 11/06/2020 at 22:39, Nigel Marshall said:

I've just downloaded the Serbian file.
It's split into two files.

The format is different to the French and Belgian files in that instead of it being a series of images of single index cards, it is more like the annotated London Gazettes for the DSO and Military Cross. It's like pages from the London Gazette, cut down the middle, into a single column, and that is then pasted into a book, with the dates of award publication in the Gazette next to each entry. The image quality is awful!

The problem with trying to determine a recipient of the MM & Fr CdG is that if the CdG is gazetted before the MM, I don't pick it up as a MM & CdG combo, as I have only ever checked the LG for foreign awards. If the MM is gazetted before the CdG then I have a reference to it and it is on my database. I have not had the time to cross reference MM recipients with my list of foreign awards.

Quite often the gazette for foreign awards does not have the recipients unit and may only state "Infantry, RA, RE etc". 

Sorry I can't be more of assistance.

The only SWB MM & CdG recipients I have are both Belgium.

Henry Brown 54115

Frederick Charles Pike 19884

Cheers

Peter

5 hours ago, ForeignGong said:

Sorry I can't be more of assistance.

The only SWB MM & CdG recipients I have are both Belgium.

You only have two confirmed MM & CdG recipients who won both awards in Belgium? I didn't understand your answer.

Henry Brown 54115 Private South Wales Borderers
Frederick Charles Pike 19884 South Wales Borderers