Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photo Bristol Scout D 5570

Clint

Hello,

Currently on ebay at : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW1-Original-1918-Photo-of-Lieut-H-L-Hopkins-R-F-C-his-Baby-Sopwith-Patch/274393362538?hash=item3fe31e706a:g:l4kAAOSwvCRe4L~f

there is a photo of Bristol Scout D serial 5570. I believe the aircraft is shown while with a Training Squadron. Air Britain mention the machine as having operated with 34 TS and 10 TS.In order to narrow down the choice is anyone aware of Lt H.L. Hopkins RFC and where he trained?

Regards,

Clint

Hello,

Thank you for your response. I was unable to read that. Knowing now the location, I have been able to look up both squadrons and I see from Sturtivant,Hamlin and Halley Royal Airforce Flying Training and Support Units that 5570 was operated by No.34 Training Squadron.Your assistance is much appreciated.

Regards,

Clint

5570 was originally assigned to No 47 Squadron at Beverley on 18 April 1916, before being passed to No 33 Squadron in July.  By late 1917 it had served with both Nos 34 and 10 Training Squadrons; it survived the war and was placed onto the civil register as G-EAGR.   

Lieutenant Hopkins might be Harry Lynn Hopkins who was killed on 11 May 1918 in the crash of R.E.8 E5 whilst attached to No 185 Night Training Squadron.

Graeme

Hello Graeme,

Thanks for your informative reply. It is then, because 5570 served with both 34 and 10 Training Squadrons, probably not possible to know which of those squadrons is depicted in the photograph?

Regards,

Clint

If the photograph was taken while 5570 was at Shawbury, it will be during its time with No 10 Training Squadron, which was based there from October 1917; No 34 Training Squadron was, I believe, at Ternhill.

Graeme

The photo was definitely taken at Shawbury - the aeroplane sheds there had those distinctive roof ventilation cupolas. That style of shed was only found elsewhere at Northolt, only 1 ssuch shed, and Coventry & Whitley Abbey AAPS, where the sheds were coupled.