Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain Hugh Rowlands 2nd London Regiment

clive_hughes

Hi,

If a member has the published History of the 2nd London Regiment (TF) in the Great War, can I request a look-up please?

It's with regard to Hugh Rowlands, who began as an Other Rank with the 13th Bn. RWF and was commissioned into the 7th Bn. in January 1916.  He was then attached to 2nd Londons (1/2nd Bn. I think) and served on the Western Front, earning the MC as RWF attached etc..  He then seems to have transferred to 2nd Londons from RWF, earning a bar to the MC and also the DSO, and at least one mention in dispatches (per medal index card).  Ended the war as a Captain and company commander with the battalion.  

Just in passing, after the war he went back to being the head teacher of a primary school on the Lleyn Peninsula, retired by 1939 and lived in his native Beaumaris, Anglesey.  His gravestone (died 1940) and his wife's has recently been identified there.  

Not sure how far the History may mention him, but if the rough story above can be amplified or amended, I'd be glad to hear some more.

Regards,

Clive

Joined November 1916, along with 8 other RWF officers (note that he transferred to the 2nd Londons later)

18th March 1917, commanded fighting patrol at Baurains

11th April '... did extremely good work in getting his platoon forward, displaying great bravery and intiative' (attack on Heniel, in A Coy, 1/2 Londons)

25th November, OC A Coy '... was ably supported by Lt Rowlands, who, together with all available men from Battalion HQ, and with a plentiful supply of bombs, had been sent up by Lt Col Sneath at the psychological moment ... Germans forced out of their support line ... capture and held by 1/2 Londons' (Bar to MC)

6th November 1918, commanding B Coy crossing the River Honnelle. A & B led the crossing, and only about 30 men were assembled on the fat bank, Rowlands commanding. Completely isolated and subject to counter attacks and at one point the enemy appeared behind them.  They called on the Londons to surrender, but '... Capt Rowlands' reply to this was delivered at the point of the bayonet; and by his gallant action he routed the Germans and put them to flight.' Unfortunately he was forced to retire, and got all his men (wounded included) back safely (DSO Gazetted 10.12.19)

Excellent!

I'm much obliged to you for taking the trouble to dig those pieces out for me.  Thank you.

Clive

Hi Clive.

His MC index card; MC and Bar citations; and his DSO citation...

image.png.53edee42bee51992eb720bc3f5926564.png

image.png.2be2ecac3338c55113d97d1aa171d1a0.png

image.png.9bf1b404204f35fb1c738a98b2baba54.png

Above images sourced from the National Archives

image.png.e5e47b3191e7da4735165a6d0cc1a935.png

image.png.d152705c22d5dfdf5ce8082a3234958b.png

Image sourced from Findmypast

5 hours ago, clive_hughes said:

He was then attached to 2nd Londons (1/2nd Bn. I think)

If he were initially attached to the !/2 London Regiment, prior to a permanent transfer, I would imagine the war diary would mention when he arrived 'in the field' to serve with them - free download links.

Regards

Chris

10 hours ago, clk said:

If he were initially attached to the !/2 London Regiment, prior to a permanent transfer, I would imagine the war diary would mention when he arrived 'in the field' to serve with them - free download links.

As noted in Post 2, the 2nd Londons History suggests November 1916, but doesn't give an exact date, so that would narrow down a WD search.

clk,

very kind indeed of you to dig out those images, and thanks for the tip Steven!

Clive

Intriguing that the 2nd Londons should receive such a large intake of RWF officers. 

• spof changed the title to Captain Hugh Rowlands 2nd London Regiment