Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Montague Charles Durrant

Jo Savage

Everyone here has always been so helpful, I hope I'm not overstaying my welcome or asking for too much.

I'm looking for a photo or any articles on Montague Charles Durrant if possible. 
REGIMENT:  Royal Engineers
REG NUMBER:  25733

Died of wounds 13 Sep 1916

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you everyone in advance.

Jo

• Admin

For photos, the best bet is local newspapers.

Michelle

Thank you Michelle.  I did endeavour to try and and find something with my limited access and knowledge.  Unfortunately I was unable to find anything.

He is named on the Roll of Honour and the War Memorial at St.Stephens Church Lewisham see:

https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/80657

http://lewishamwarmemorials.wikidot.com/memorial:lewisham-st-stephen-ww1-war-memorial

Dave

Edited by HERITAGE PLUS

Thank you so very much for the links and images.  I appreciate the time and effort taken by everyone.  It certainly helps me build a bigger picture of him and hopefully I will one day manage to find a photo.  Thanks once again.

I think he's a different chap cwgc

Hi Jo,

Arthur Durrant (11.7.1866) appears to have married Lizzie Ann Rush (5.4.1862) in 1888. The birth of Montague was registered in the first quarter of 1896

In the 1901 census the family are living in 7 High Street, Lewisham

In the 1911 census the family are living in the Old Lodge, Morden Hill, Lewisham.

image.png.c0f090b2d09558b406bdaa6109a8de95.png

Image sourced from Ancestry

Soldiers Died says that Montague enlisted at Woolwich. The amount of War Gratuity shown as paid in his Soldiers' Effects record  is indicative of calculated war service counting from circa the outbreak of the war in August 1914. It looks like he may have joined up before war was declared though. For some other RE men:

25721 Moll - attested 2.1.1914

25731 West - attested 6.1.1914

25736 Scholes - attested 7.1.1914

25746 Patrick - attested 8.1.1914

The Effects record shows...

image.png.498a516e3c4c17f6d112ec5f398a2b6c.png

Image sourced from Ancestry.

The record shows him as 1 Division Signal Company RE, which is at odds with other contemporary records which have him as 11 Division Signal Company. The medal rolls indicate that he first arrived in active theatre (France/Flanders) on 27.11.1914. 11 Division remained in the UK at that time, so he must have originally served overseas with some other unit.

Montague is shown as being a 'Pioneer', rather than a 'Sapper'. That would imply that he didn't have a formally recognised army trade qualification.

If you don't already have one, British War Graves may be able to send you a digital image of his resting place (free of charge).

11 minutes ago, sadbrewer said:

He's been looked at before on here.

...same name, but a different man.

Regards

Chris

18 hours ago, sadbrewer said:

He's been looked at before on here.

Yes, it's a different person.  "My" Montague died on 13 Sept 1916.

Thank you Chris for such revealling information, it is very much appreciated and gives me some more to work on.

Kind regards

Jo

On 16/06/2020 at 09:29, Jo Savage said:

Yes, it's a different person.  "My" Montague died on 13 Sept 1916.

Apologies.....such an unusual name, I didn't bother to cross check !!

• 4 weeks later...

hello Jo

I have a couple of newspaper articles that you may find interesting. The photo is from the Kentish Mercury 13 Oct 1916, death notice and obit 29 Sept and the second obituary Lewisham Journal 29 Sept 1916. I also have a copy of the unveiling of the memorial that he is commemorated on if you are interested.

Jacks

Durrant 2.jpg

Durrant 1.jpg

Durrant.jpg

Durrant 3.jpg

Thank you so very much Jacks - you've made my day with these.  I am very thankful and appreciative of your time and willingness to help out, as I am everyone who has been so generous.

Thank you once again.

Sorry Jacks, I missed the bit about the unveiling.  I would most definitely love to see that please.

From the Kentish Mercury 9th September 1921

ST STEPHENS LEWISHAM WAR MEMORIAL

UNVEILING AND DEDICATION

There was a large gathering on Saturday afternoon to witness the unveiling and dedication of the Portland stone crucifix which has been erected in the grounds of St Stephens church, Lewisham, in memory of the men of the congregation and parish who made the supreme sacrifice in the War. A short service in the church was conducted by the Vicar (the Revd H. Barton Dickinson) and comprised the hymns "Onward Christian Soldiers" (sung in the procession). "Fight the Good Fight" the 23rd and 121st Psalms and the lesson "The souls of the righteous are in the hands of God" read by the Rev. W.E. Woodward (Church of the Transfiguration, Algernon Road).

Other clergy present were the Rev. H Gordon Pegg, Bayfield Roberts, and the Rev C.B. Durrand (who acted as chaplain to the Bishop of Woolwich). Mr. P. J. Haselgrove was M.C. and the congregation was represented by Messrs. Charles Palmer and Walter Davies (wardens) and Colonel Pullan chairman of the War Memorial Committee. Lt. Col. Eric Ball L.C.C. commanding the 20th Battalion County of London Regiment, Capt and Adjt. Rochfont and Lt S.M. Clemow were also present with detachments of St Stephens Troops of Scouts and Cubs, All Saints Orphanage Sea Cadet Corps.

The Bishop of Woolwich in the course of an address based on the words "Whosoever shall seek to save his life shall lose it; and whosoever shall lose his life shall preserve it" St Luke. Chap 17 verse 33, said the text was the foundation of the truth of Christianity and was repeated on four separate occasions by Christ Himself. A main who fought to gain prosperity, pleasure and wealth lost his life altogether, and God had proved the truth of that. Self sacrifice and self surrender had left a precious heritage. Many of the young men of Lewisham made the supreme sacrifice but their lives had not been lost or thrown away: because they did so their names would live for ever and ever. If we were going to reap the benefits of the War we must look to Christianity to save England. There were many problems to be solved particularly unemployment , a million and a half people were out of work and a large number were only working half time. A great many hard things had been said about the unemployed , but it was not true to say that they were lazy and did not want work and it was ruin to their lives to have the will to work but not the opportunity. The problem must be solved by the application of Christian principles which had not yet been tried. On the other hand the unemployed must not make demands which it was impossible for the community to meet. There must be the spirit of love, self sacrifice and self surrender on both sides.

During the singing of the hymn "The strife is o'er, the battle done", the Bishop, clergy, choir and congregation proceeded to the grounds, where Lt.Col. Eric Ball drew aside the Union Jack which had covered the Crucifix, and the Bishop offered dedicatory prayers. After "O God our help in ages past" had been sung buglers of the 20th Battalion sounded "Last Post" and "Reveille" and the service concluded with the National Anthem.

On the front of the Crucifix are the words "Forget not on entering this church those who laid down their lives for their country. R.I.P. Thanks be to God who giveth the victory."