Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Jon Cooksey RIP

Hedley Malloch

From the WFA Twitter feed this am.

"It is with great sadness that we have been informed of the sudden passing of the editor of 'Stand To!', Jon Cooksey.
Our condolences are with his family at this time.
An appreciation will be published in due course."

Edited by Hedley Malloch

• Admin

What sad news. I met Jon a few times, a lovely man. My condolences to his family. 

Very sad news. I never met Jon, but we had a few very friendly  email exchanges. The WFA will be the poorer for his passing.

Whatever we may think of the WFA, it's sad to hear of the death of Jon Cooksey, who's been the editor of 'Stand To!' these last twelve years, and a fount of GW knowledge. He will be missed.

Edited by paulgranger
Typo

Sad news, indeed.

Bernard

Ah, that's really sad news.

Like others, I never met him, but I have a copy of his book on the Vest Pocket Camera, which I thought was very good. 

He's a very big loss to the WFA. 

That is a shock. I'm very sorry to hear it.

The WFA will be the poorer with his passing and he will leave large boots to fill for Stand To!.

C

So very sorry to hear this. Worked with Jon for "Blood & Iron" a gentleman, and a pleasure to work with.

Andy

Edited by stiletto_33853

40 minutes ago, Colin W Taylor said:

That is a shock. I'm very sorry to hear it.

The WFA will be the poorer with his passing and he will leave large boots to fill for Stand To!.

C

Yes.

Sad news. Never met him, but like others I had a few email exchanges and found him a real gentleman.

As Reviews Editor for Stand To for the last three or so years, my contact with Jon has been frequent. Quite apart from all the praise offered, quite rightly, on this thread, I can add only that he was a joy to work with, a thorough professional and great sounding board. I will miss him immensely. He will be one devil of an act to follow. It has been a sad day for all who knew him. 

David

Dreadful news. I met Jon a couple of times and he was a very lively and knowledgeable chap to speak to. Helped me greatly by (skilfully) editing material. Sad loss to his family, the WFA, and those who knew him.

Tom

I am very sad to read the dreadful news.

Jon was kind [or misguided] enough to publish a dozen or so of my article over many years, and edited and suggested with a light and accurate touch.

We survived a well-fought spat online: we never became rude to each other although the metaphorical dust flew for a month or so!

Stand To!  was very good indeed under his lead.

R. I. P.Jon.

Well that is very sad news. Only on Friday did the other half of the Camera Returns team, Steve Wall, receive an e-mail from him and Monday he his dead!  He was an extremely good Editor to us giving advise and a little input for 36 of our 100 contributions to Stand To!

Ah well, we must carry on as long as we are able.

Bob Grundy

This is truly shocking news - it was only a week ago I was sharing sources with him for his latest project, and receiving his usual kind and erudite encouragement on my own. As ever he was full of enthusiasm for his subject and unquestioning generosity to fellow students of the Great War. The sheer volume of his email correspondence alone and the number of his correspondents must have been incredible - I am in awe of his productivity.

Sadly I never got to meet him, having narrowly missed a chance in 2017. I am surely not alone in owing my own authorial career to his generous publication of my initial efforts in 'Stand To!' (even giving me the cover for two successive issues!) and his gentle encouragement of myself and my friend Jürgen Schmieschek to submit a joint book proposal to Pen and Sword... something we would never otherwise have dared to attempt.

Jon's passing is an incalculable loss to the Great War research community. He was a true gentleman and scholar, and we are immeasurably poorer for his loss. My sincere condolences to his family.

Very sad news and such a shock , as we were exchanging information around his next book this month . Back in 2010, after he had published my first article in 'Stand To!', I asked him for advice about getting a book published. He not only gave me excellent advice but liaised with a publisher, successfully, on my behalf. A knowledgeable and generous man, he will be much missed.

Michael

There was a brief tribute to Jon on BBC Radio Northampton this morning.

As a local man he had contributed to several programmes on Great War

topics relating to the town and county.  He also co-authored a book with one of the

radio presenters, Graham McKechnie.  He will be very much missed.

Mike.

Very very sad news. My only contact with Jon was through articles written for Stand To! but he was unfailingly kind and helpful to me. He will be a great loss, not only for his outstanding editing of the journal, but also for his own body of work. 

I have known Jon more years than I care to remember. He was a lovely chap and will be greatly missed. My condolences to his family but especially his wife and daughter. He was also a member of our local branch of WFA and, as chairman Trevor Harvey wrote this morning to all members, "we have all lost a true friend".

Like Andy, I knew Jon through his excellent Butterworth letters book, Blood & Iron.  He has also written well on Operation Chariot, the St Nazaire Raid - another topic close to my family.

He will be sadly missed.

Mark

Checking my correspondence "archives" I see that I had an email exchange with Jon re my then budding project in 2018. He gave several very helpful pointers to source material which proved to be very useful. I also bought his book on "Boulogne".

A very helpful gent. Sad news, indeed.

Bernard