Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

jem1900

Medals for Post-Armistice BAOR soldiers

jem1900

Hello all, 

I've been going through medal rolls recently to try to narrow down my search for the regiment number of my great grandfather. During this it occurred to me that due to the timing of his service he may not have received a medal at all. I know he was in the RE Signal Service as a Sapper and served with the BAOR in 1919. The earliest he would have been conscripted would be April 1918 (when he turned 18). A few people on this forum claimed standard training lasted about six months or more before young soldiers went to the front. So: if he didn't get over to the Front until after Nov. 11, 1918, would he have been eligible for the British War Medal and/or the Victory Medal? 

Any information (on either medals or even timing of soldier training) would be appreciated. 

Jack

ajsmith

If his service with the BAOR began after the 11th Nov then he would not have been eligible for either a BWM or a Victory Medal. The only exception to that were men who were involved in mine clearance in the North Sea or those who served during the Russian Civil War.

jem1900
16 minutes ago, ajsmith said:

If his service with the BAOR began after the 11th Nov then he would not have been eligible for either a BWM or a Victory Medal. The only exception to that were men who were involved in mine clearance in the North Sea or those who served during the Russian Civil War.

Understood, thanks for clarifying. Would service be considered to have begun once he got to France or Germany, or just whenever he completed training? 

Jack 

ajsmith

Service would have begun when he attested. Training was home service so did not count towards a campaign medal, there are exceptions of course.