Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

55 Kite Balloon Section - survivor of Osmanieh

Chris Brown

I am trying to interpret the service record of my grandfather Harry Brown who served in the RAMC then RFC in WW1. His service record shows him transferred from the RAMC to 55 B Sec Royal Flying Corp in July 1916? 

He was then transferred to B Dept in 1917?

Can anyone please advise the meaning of 55 B sec and B Dept?

Does anyone have any further information please about these units?

Chris Brown

• Admin

Hi Chris

Welcome to the forum

I believe it will be Number 55 Balloon Section and Balloon Depot.

Pretty sure an expert will be along shortly...

David

Chris

I am posting on this thread to avoid duplication. Can I suggest you close your other thread asking the same question;

I'm not an expert but I think you will find he was in 55 Kite Balloon Section. They appear to have gone to the Egyptian Expeditionary Force in December 1917. You will find several Casualties to this unit dated 31/12/17, drowned, ex HT Osmanieh which hit a mine off Alexandria. Was he a lucky escapee ?

See this wiki note on the Hired Transport Osmanieh

He may have served alongside Jack Cohen, Tesco founder, who was RFC Balloon section and a survivor of that sinking.

Charlie

Edit     -If you key in Osmanieh to the search box you will find several previous references to this ship on this forum.

edit edit There appear to have been nearly 50 members of 55 and 56 KBS drowned in that event, according to Airmen died in the Great War.

Edited by charlie962

Charlie

Thank you, Harry brown's service record says he served in the middle east 10th December 1917. So it is possible he could have been on the ship, i will follow up this lead

Thank you again

1 minute ago, Chris Brown said:

Harry brown's service record says he served in the middle east 10th December 1917

404044 Harry Brown RFC    b 30/10/1895 Hunslet Leeds, prev TF RAMC 3/2/13 Service No 1780
55 B Sec  26/7/16- 28/8/18

EF France 15/4/15-10/7/15   (NB MIC says entry 25/4/15)
Middle East from 10/12/17

I'd seen that. You will find that the service records for those that drowned show a similar date.

eg

Osmanieh- Drowned includes
Kendall 94023 55 KBS
Waud or Wand 8201 55 KBS

Charlie

Charlie

Thank you , that is him , Can you please advise where do I look for more information? I am new to this forum

Chris,

For a starter key in 'Osmanieh' into the search box of this forum and you will find some background discussion.

I cannot help with Unit Diaries etc as I don't know the Order of Battle- ie the names of the higher formations for which such diaries may exist.

Can I suggest you go back to your post1 above and edit. This will allow you to change the title. Try replacing with, eg, " 55 Kite Balloon Section- a survivor of the Osmanieh?"  as a suggestion that might attract some experts.

Charlie

• Admin

As Chris's current member group has a time out on the edit function I have edited the title as Charlie has suggested.

Mate,

One of my AIF Camel Corps soldiers was on that ship and was mentioned for his work in saving many British soldiers there.

MORRISON    George Alfred    2135    Pte    8 LHR    15R to 3 LHTR 5-16 to CTU 9-16 tos 1Co/1Bn ICC 11-16 deserted 17-12-17 picked up in UK rtn to Egypt MSM & MID - for his actions when the Troopship "Osmanieh" struck mine off Alexandria 31-12-17 laid by UC 34 he rescued nurses and soldiers of the 55 and 56 Kite Balloon sections RFC of whom 209 died rtn 1-18 to 18Co/4Bn 1-18 rtn 1Co/1Bn 5-18 to LH Dtls 7-18 to EDP/Cpl CTD 9-18 brought to the notice of the Secretary of State for war for Valuable Services - for his actions on the "Osmanieh" Ex 14R/8 LHR (1993) DNE (A Troop ASqn/13 LH CMF 3 years)

Cheers

S.B