Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grandfather in the RFA?

Camberwick

I am well versed in the use of various sites to trace relatives, but have always been unsuccessful tracing my grandfathers WW I war details.  There were too many Yorkshire Alfred Atkinson's and I didn't have and other details apart from him being a saddler. His issue copy of the Bible has just turned up but lacks a service number, he was Cpl Alfred Atkinson, D Battery, 312 Brigade, Royal Field Artillery. He was born in 1887, Tockwith, Yorkshire, and his NoK, would be, wife, Mary Jane, daughter, Rose b 1915.

Any pointers as to where I should go next, the Ancestry records don't seem to have him.

Hi Camberwick,

312 Brigade was a TF unit. In 1917 the TF got renumbered. 312 Brigade were allocated the number block 785001 to 790000. The only Alfred Atkinson I saw with a service number falling within the band was 785980.

image.png.b29512e27efc64963365fc07ffe13e2a.png

image.png.0725a5156c70cf502f84555aac566700.png

Images sourced from Ancestry

Does the bible have a date in it?

Regards

Chris

Edit:

There is a potted history of 62 Division here. The Brigade war diary is here. The CRA 62 Division diary is here.

Edited by clk

785980 looks good, it signifies B (H)/313 to D (H)/312 on June 24, 1916.

313th Brigade was formed in Otley, Ilkley and Burley in Wharfedale.

13 hours ago, Camberwick said:

No, he was living in Otley, 12 Bank Parade. TKS

Not his military service, but you may find this interesting...From The Leeds Mercury, October 2nd, 1933. 

Courtesy of the British Newspaper Archive. 

Screenshot_20200613-093859.jpg

Thank you for the information, each a piece of a jig-saw that helps build a picture of my grandfather, a giant of a man to me although he was only five foot four.  The army had him as a saddler but they taught him to drive trucks.  He came back from the war and, because he could drive, worked for an animal feed supplier,  Odgesons (?), who bought a six wheeled Thornycroft for him to drive.  People in Otley came out to watch this little man drive the huge, for those days, truck.

Thank you all once again.

• 4 weeks later...

Dodghsons, surely?

Edited by Simon R