Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RTR xmas Tin bullet hole Sgt? T Hughes Tank Corps at Cambrai ?

arantxa

hello

Im trying to find out about this chap...apparently he was a sgt tank corps I can find a A/Lcpl Thomas Huges on medal roll could he be a Sgt but on medal roll be a A/LCpl

it says before he was ASC  T3/023147   what does the T3 stand for is that a specific driver or something..he is supposed to have been at Cambrai in 1918

the chap i found is 313605 but this might not be the number i have no actual number just hear say

FACAAE52-4A35-4365-978A-B8A8B8F2739E.jpeg

Edited by arantxa
Change

Thank you

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently  its Terence Hughes it sayes RTR which im guessing is Royal Tank Regiment but could RTR stand for something else its on a Xmas tin sayes God saves RTR 

There is a service record for Thomas Hughes Army Service Corps/313605  Tank Corps  - bit burnt round the edges but still has legible information. Looks  like he was transferred to Tank Corps in September 1918 (in the UK) and then demobbed in January 1919.

54549471-BEB9-4E30-91F5-23B6E5266FF0.jpeg

3B5DCADB-6A02-4B62-8418-B066C59A96EF.jpeg

3975AE17-A4AC-41C9-93F0-C00FCCC6405B.jpeg

8B44C5AA-5683-4E98-987F-337B6730E407.jpeg

169122BD-EF8A-4825-B247-C48E5340D189.jpeg

Sorry not a very good phone 

8FE9FC35-EA05-4790-84E2-6D30ED90AE66.jpeg

59993660-0199-4E59-89ED-3CE098091DD7.jpeg

Hi, it's a little surprising that he wrote "RTR" as the unit was called the Tank Corps (until 1923), then Royal Tank Corps, and didn't become the Royal Tank Regiment until 1939.

He might have stayed in all that time, but it would mark quite a long period of service. Alternatively he might have added the inscription later, after it had been renamed RTR.

There is another possibility, but I'm not an expert on these things and presumably you're confident about its authenticity.

John

I’m sure it’s authentic if some one had faked it I don’t think they would have put Cambrrai 1918 they would have put 1917 I wonder if RTR stands for something else he may not have been rank corp I can’t see a Terence it didn’t come from a dealer a house clearance with a load of other stuff it was peanuts much less than you would pay for a standard Xmas tin 

Possibly RTR has no connection to anything military, could it be religious "God Saves" ? the righteous.... Just a thought

That is a very very valid point !!! Because if it was royal tank regiment It sounds odd in the phrase 

1 minute ago, arantxa said:

That is a very very valid point !!! Because if it was royal tank regiment It sounds odd in the phrase 

I don't know something like "Truly The Righteous" (Possibly never know)

I think your right and I don’t think he was tank corp the way he had worded the front would strike me as some one pretty religious the hole to me would indicate someone lying down for the billet if it was a bulletin to go from end to end 

16 minutes ago, arantxa said:

I think your right and I don’t think he was tank corp the way he had worded the front would strike me as some one pretty religious the hole to me would indicate someone lying down for the billet if it was a bulletin to go from end to end 

could well of been a ricochet.  In The diary I have been transcribing, The doctor talks of some very strange trajectories of bullets when hitting a person.  "including a man shot through the lower end of scapula and out just above base of heart then through top button of coat which was flattened out curiously.". I should have imagine a bullet deflected could come at an  any angle to the unfortunate recipient. Or, even enfilade fire from the side of attack

Edited by RegHannay

1,The name “Terence” does not seem to be on the tin. Where has it entered the tale

2. The letters “ RTR” Have been die stamped onto the tin at a different time to the hand scratching of the rest

Terence comes from the piece of paper in the box in the photos 

An identical tin was sold on eBay according worthpoint no mention of a load of other stuff with it. Personally I would be sceptical of a tin that was inscribed RTR some 21 years after Cambrai 1918 or the original owner was very forward thinking. As for bullet holes eBay is awash with bullet riddled items. If it was cheap then it’s a talking point I guess.

Oh well for £24 what do you expect though the comrades badge and bits were worth that the one beneath cost me more many years ago note the original newspaper cutting. 

30C95FF4-50F0-4439-B9C9-33AE65D9864C.jpeg

C4B5526F-50BE-42B6-95DB-7C1997959ED5.jpeg

I don’t think RTR stands for tank any more as I said 

now I’m looking for an expert on French stuff 

73C6D39C-8F4F-4125-8342-F57468329C29.jpeg

AD468AAC-01C9-4412-98C9-A4FBAB6B56E4.jpeg

1DE59D8B-919B-42DF-A43A-E0DA37ADFC1E.jpeg

I have a super set of Worcestershire ww1 diary's to an officer if you have any good swaps he got the MC