Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rifle Brigade (Prince Consort's Own).

Russler

Wounded at Hooge 30/7/15 whilst serving in "C" Company which was to the right of the crater and in effect failed to exist after the initial flame throwers and attack. He rejoined the battalion on 15/10/15 after recovering from his wound.

Seemed to be partial to a drink with charges of being drunk on 10/10/14 receiving 8 days confined to barracks, drunk in barracks 16/1/15 receiving 10 days confined to barracks. Tried by Field General Court Martial 18/7/15 for being drunk, sentenced to 6 months with hard labour, sentenced commuted to 3 months field punishment number 1. Had 1 brother and 4 sisters.

R.I.P. Walter

Starke, W., B-3038, 8th RB, 13-12-15.JPG

Edited by stiletto_33853

2 hours ago, stiletto_33853 said:

Wounded at Hooge 30/7/15 whilst serving in "C" Company which was to the right of the crater and in effect failed to exist after the initial flame throwers and attack. He rejoined the battalion on 15/10/15 after recovering from his wound.

Seemed to be partial to a drink with charges of being drunk on 10/10/14 receiving 8 days confined to barracks, drunk in barracks 16/1/15 receiving 10 days confined to barracks. Tried by Field General Court Martial 18/7/15 for being drunk, sentenced to 6 months with hard labour, sentenced commuted to 3 months field punishment number 1. Had 1 brother and 4 sisters.

R.I.P. Walter

Starke, W., B-3038, 8th RB, 13-12-15.JPG

Thank you very much for the picture of Walter's Headstone.  Also the news regarding his particular hobby!  I had no idea that it got him into so much trouble, I don't believe he was married which perhaps was a good thing!  He actually had one brother and five sisters and was my 1st cousin once removed, my grandmother's nephew.  Russler.

Welcome Russler, my apologies 5 sisters indeed, Amelia Lambert, Elizabeth Clipson, Emma Martin, Isabella Nicholls & Violet Morrison.

You are aware that his service record survives???

Andy

Hello Andy, thank you again and I wasn't aware of any records.  Any help you can give would be much appreciated.  Russler.