Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

EK1 screwback

PrussianGarde

I have a guy who is selling an EK1 screwback for 310 usd. I’m not very experienced with EK1’s and I just want to know, is it worth it? What is the resale value? Thanks

2002B44A-660F-48B5-9170-3D4A4ED78470.jpeg

2FF8972F-A6F6-4A94-85CA-C506C7758C59.jpeg

Edited by PrussianGarde
Grammar

I wouldnt like to say..

a few years ago I had a WW2 EK1 screwback in case. looked good, bought from a German militaria dealer at a English militaria fair. as the value is in the named paperwork I decided to sell as off theme. it went to America, and I recieved a email back saying he wanted to return it as it was a fake. Ive still got it and it still looks "right" to me.

I was told by another dealer that the seller would selll you a fake but wouldnt buy one from you.

As they are copied and faked in Eastern Europe, without handling it and checking metal content and build , you can only go by what ebay or other web sites suggest. 

This beautifully recreated medal is die-struck in one piece, with an antiqued silver finish and black painted center. A must for reenactors or collectors alike. £20

or

Offered is an original German First World War ‘screw back’ Iron Cross 1st Class. 41.5 mm wide, silver metal cross ‘vaulted’ pattée with a blackened cross pattée (some service wear to face) within a hatched border imposed; the face with a central ‘W’ (for Wilhelm), a crown above, the date ‘1914’ below; the reverse with a period replaced screw back post & fixing nut for wear to uniform, with a silver content stamp 900 (90% silver purity). The cross is a good original piece, with a very good original finish to iron core centre, showing period modification for field wear. $455

caveat emptor

This isn’t eBay either. I know this man, he has been consigned a collection worth 140,000 dollars, and he has everything from SS General visor caps, to General Pickelhaubes that he is trying to sell which leads me to believe that this isn’t a reproduction. As always it’s good to be careful, but I can negotiate with this guy. I also identified it as a 1939 production Schickle piece. it worth it to negotiate for it?

Edited by PrussianGarde

Looks original but not worth $310 US in that condition. WW1 EKs are copied but not as extensively as WW2 versions.

I didn’t buy this, instead, I bought a WW1 CD800 screwback for 325. Here it is. The screw is original to the cross and fits really nicely.

2FC9947F-1661-4B12-B9AC-ED9054E40E9E.jpeg

11D127C5-BB68-4E8D-86B6-9A8F878D8F02.jpeg

7366A221-7A62-4C61-86D9-3E310380DBDE.jpeg