Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SWB roll , can't find it !

mancpal

Some members may already realise that my mastery of computing is pitiful at best.

I am trying to find the roll for the SWB in particular for Cpl J. Lamb, 21202, Mcr Regt. Ive tried searching the National Archive and have failed completely so far. Could anybody give me an idiots (step by step literally) guide to accessing the roll so I can find the badge number of the above, 

thanks 

Simon

Your man will have his name on a roll, with that of other men from the same regiment. That folio will have a number, and a letter prefix based upon the district. (For Shrewsbury, the letter is "J")
Does it state the reference on his MIC i.e. "list J/1234"?

I do not believe that TNA have digitised these rolls. Your options are to pay about £65 to buy a CD-ROM from N&M Press, or to be a subscriber to FMP or Ancestry. 

Hej Simon

There is a Corpl. J. Lamb of the Manchester Regiment on Ancestry

Link to Roll

but he has Regtl.No. 21203.

His SWB number is B24250.

Date of Enlistment: 7-1-15

Date of Discharge: 19-9-18 due to Para.392(XVI).K.R. A.C.2.b.i. d/10-8-17 n

Looking at the Ancestry URL it seems the record is under WO-329/3077 at the National Archives.

Steen

Is the service number correct

should it not be Cpl J. Lamb, 21203, Mcr Regt.

21203 Cpl Lamb J enlisted 7/1/15 discharged 19/9/18  SWB number B24250

Ancestry Link

Ray

Steen types faster than me

Medal roll shows 21202 with matching discharge date  I suspect an error on the SWB roll    

Edited by RaySearching

Its definitely 21202 as per his service record and entry in the 'Manchester book of Honour'. I have been researching him since about 1992 and think I've discovered almost all there is.

The dates quoted are correct though on his attestation it states he had no previous military service neatly glossing over his 30 days with the KRRC the previous Autumn when they dispensed with his services.

The cause of his SWB was his 2nd wound, the first gazetted Sept 1916 I can find nothing more of. On Oct 4th 1917 he received a wound from a shell between Polygon Wood and Noordemhoek which culminated in the amputation of his leg. He died in 1943 in the same hospital on the same day as his brother in law (another original Mcr Pal) and they share the same grave in the Catholic section of Gorton Cemetery, Manchester. That may seem bad luck for a family but as they say 'every cloud.....'. Had they died a fortnight apart the family would have faced the burden of two funerals which would have been financially crippling.

Thanks to all for contributing and I now have the badge number which I've had for years but for the life of me can't find where I noted it down. Although my indirect question has been answered I hope to follow the instructions so that in future I won't need to post such a basic question!

Thanks again.

Simon

Thanks Charlie,

I have his service record and can't say how I haven't noticed it

Simon

Come to think about it I haven’t spotted it elsewhere either !

Specsavers here I come.

Simon