Remembered Today:

1 July 1916 description

Glosters

• 2 weeks later...

Untitled.

centre cross reads

4964 Pte T. Milsom B Coy

2nd London Regt

With a bit of work I might be able to make out enough on the other crosses to identify them.

post-1-1110806115.jpg

Still wondering about his son , Squadron Leader Bisgood's D.F.C ? Can anyone help with the citation ?

Hi,

This is a really fascinating thread!

Anyway- as for his son, Douglas Bisgood- could this be him...

from http://www.202-sqn-assoc.co.uk/MrAngry.htm

and I quote...

"Two operational successes other than weather watching were recorded about this time: In April 1941 Flt Lt Douglas Bisgood was nearing the end of a RHOMBUS (fig1) sortie when he came across three Junkers 88 returning to Germany from a raid over England. Bisgood, a former fighter pilot, gave chase and one of them was shot down with the Blenheim's forward firing gun. He was awarded the DFC (or probably a Bar)..."

Regards

Richard

• 8 months later...

Hello

This diary and all your combined input has been a fascinating find. T H Bisgood was my great uncle (Thornton Hy). He was promoted in the field and reached Lt Col, he became a JP living and dying in his bed in Reading in the late 50s. I have very little personal information of him other than brief family quotes, this is a treasure.

The photographs refered to do not seem to be avilable on the site and I would be very grateful of any help in viewing them. How did the diary come to light? Sounds like a good detective story.

An individual to the last, T H willed his estate to a local dog sanctuary.

Bill Bisgood

None of the 'attached images' are showing up on my browser. Have they disappeared, been deleted or do I have a technical problem? Also, I note that people quote from a message dated 21st Feb concerning the 167th Brigade that doesn't appear in the thread. Odd.

Also, having just re-read the original posting re: the short truce to collect wounded. This actually happened on the 2nd July between 1 and 3 pm (depending on the source) and not 7.30pm on the 1st. Fighting was still going on near Gommecourt Park at this time.

According to all of the information I have (which is considerable, I have 250 pages written of an account of the attack by the 56th Division  :blink:  ), the London Rifle Brigade attacked an area comprising the left of 6/170, the front of 8/170 and the right of 2/170.  They barely penetrated Gommecourt Park.  The Somme Nord map shows the park finishing at Hauser trench.  In fact it runs into the are where the trenches turn NE at right angles and then runs along side the road which cuts Hauser trench.

Bloody hell I must have been drunk when I wrote this. The LRB actually attacked the left of the 6/55 Reserve Infantry Regt, the front of the 8/55 RIR and the right of the 2/170 - that at least is correct! :blink:

These damned senior moments!

BMAC

Forget the mistakes - we all make them when we are trying to tranpose info from another source. What you have done is open a wonderful vein of work - I'm suprisd that one of the many speciliast publishers has not asked for access to the diaries so that they can be printed. B)

None of the 'attached images' are showing up on my browser.  Have they disappeared, been deleted or do I have a technical problem?  Also, I note that people quote from a message dated 21st Feb concerning the 167th Brigade that doesn't appear in the thread.  Odd.

I also have this problem. Chris is doing work on the images on the forum so may be that is the cause. Strange a post has gone missing though.

Neil

Steve,

Thanks for the link. Excellent stuff and thanks again for your work in putting it together.

A lot for me to get my head around.

Bill

PS Thanks for the OK B)

"We, the 2nd London were the reserve batt'n and as soon as the battalions in front sent the signal two companies were up and over despite the fact that all fire was now concentrated on our particular sectors.

The reason for this concentration was that the Division on our right (46th Div) let us down and failed to attack. The sight of our boys advancing in the face of this terrible fire was wonderful though terrible; losses in our two companies alone numbered 250."

A moving and detailed account from a very brave soldier.

The 46th Div., did not fail to attack but like a goood many others failed in their attack and for which the Divisional Commander was duly sacked the only one I believe. Of the 4 attacking Battalions of the 46th Division the 5th Battalion Sherwood Foresters whose strength at the beginning was 734 men, at the end of the day 240 answered the roll call, Capt., Green was awarded the V.C. posthumously. The losses of the other three Battalions were comparable and out of the 4 Battalions three Colonels were killed.

• 1 year later...
Guest jim bisgood

Dear Glosters,

absolutely fascinated by your posting of Sgt. Bisgood's account of the first day of the Somme (and subsequent full journal posting) as I am his grandson! Col. T.H. Bisgood MM,MBE and JP died in the early 1960's after a long and successful business career. It is probable that like my other (maternal) grandfather Sgt. I. Bretherton of the Lancashire Fusiliers, who died around the same time, that respiratory problems brought on by the both of them being gassed in the trenches finally did for them in the end, like so many other veterans of the Somme. I can supply much more detail of the life of Colonel 'Tom' Bisgood (Tom is the family form and spelling, not Thomas) but would prefer to do so in a less public forum than on full scale internet. I have some photos, other memorobilia but never knew that a diary existed - fascinated to know how you came by it. I stumbled onto this web site purely by chance, just googled his name following an off the wall conversation.

James Bisgood