Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

POW Camp Cambrai France July 1918

GJW

Hi,

I have a soldier who is buried in Cambrai East German Cemetery who died as a POW from Dyptheria in July 1918. He was captured the previous March. I cannot seem to find a German detention centre in the area to explain his presence there. Does anyone have any information around this please?

Thank you

Gerard 

Edited by GJW
Correction

Gerard

Please tell us his name and unit.

Without any further details, I suspect he was being used as labour somewhere behind the lines, contracted dyptheria and died in an isolation hospital in Cambrai. 
Charlie

I think Gerard is probably referring to 21067 Shiel - 'A' Coy, 2/RDF.

Regards

Chris

Edit:

I see that one of his ICRC records is a register page for Güstrow camp which has a date stamp of 22.8.1918 on it ( - after he had died).

image.png.62c09f994f9038940a17f3ef2f790ecd.png

Image sourced from archive.org

Using the AA Route Planner, Güstrow to Cambrai is about a 580 mile drive.

Edited by clk

Sorry Guys,

Yes indeed it is Edward Sheil as per Chris's post above. Below is a translation from one of the POW docs I found.

Edward Shiel - Private, 2 Royal Dublin Fus. Regt. Born 29.06.1889 in Castleder. Died on 3.7.1918 at field hospital, division/department 63 in Cambrai as a result of diphtheria. Buried at war cemetery in Cambrai.

I can find very little info on Sheil prior to his capture. Usual Medal Roll - MIC - Effects Register

Edited by GJW
ommission

2 hours ago, clk said:

I think Gerard is probably referring to 21067 Shiel - 'A' Coy, 2/RDF.

Regards

Chris

Edit:

I see that one of his ICRC records is a register page for Güstrow camp which has a date stamp of 22.8.1918 on it ( - after he had died).

image.png.62c09f994f9038940a17f3ef2f790ecd.png

Image sourced from archive.org

Using the AA Route Planner, Güstrow to Cambrai is about a 580 mile drive.

And a long walk to be real. 

Güstrow was one of the camps suspected of being a „letter drop“ address for prisoners being used as labour behind the front. Pal(ess) „Seaforths“ along with some others did quite a bit of research into these camps.

Charlie

Thank you Charlie

• 2 years later...
On 10/06/2020 at 13:08, GJW said:

Sorry Guys,

Yes indeed it is Edward Sheil as per Chris's post above. Below is a translation from one of the POW docs I found.

Edward Shiel - Private, 2 Royal Dublin Fus. Regt. Born 29.06.1889 in Castleder. Died on 3.7.1918 at field hospital, division/department 63 in Cambrai as a result of diphtheria. Buried at war cemetery in Cambrai.

I can find very little info on Sheil prior to his capture. Usual Medal Roll - MIC - Effects Register

Here's a short biography I put together for him:

EDWARD SHIEL Died 03 July 1918 Age 29 years old PRIVATE 21067 Royal Dublin Fusiliers 2nd Bn. Buried at CAMBRAI EAST MILITARY CEMETERY VII. A. 12. France Additional Info Son of John Shiel, of Castleroe, Maganey, Co. Kildare. Personal Inscription WHO DIED FOR KING AND COUNTRY R.I.P.

Formerly South Irish Horse 2970

"QUIS SEPARABIT"
"FAUGH A BALLAGH"

Edward was born on the 29th June 1889 at Hallahoise near Castledermot in County Kildare, the sixth of ten children and the fourth son of John Shiel a labourer and his wife Rosanna Stynes who were from Kilkea an adjacent townland. In 1901 they are living at Kilkea with six of their children and in 1911 they are shown in Castleroe Townland with three of their grown up children living with them. I've managed to find all of the ten children this couple had.

The children are as follows: Bridget born 24th July 1881, mother shown as Rosanna Stznes, Michael born 1st October 1882, mother shown as Rosie Stynes, James born on the 26th April 1884, Margaret born on the 6th November 1885, John born on the 12th December 1887, Edward  born on the 29th June 1889, Honorah born on the 24th August 1890, Thomas born on the 26th December 1891, Martin born on the 15th May 1893 and finally Patrick born on the 12th December 1895 all of whom were born at Hallohoise in County Kildare. Patrick died aged just seventeen days on the 29th December 1895.

Edward joined the South Irish Horse around May 1917, like so many at this time he was transferred to the infantry and found himself in the Royal Dublin Fusiliers as Private 21067. He was with the 2nd Battalion when on the 21st March he was captured and sent to Gustrow prisoner of war camp Mecklenberg, Germany. See below for an historic archived link to a photographic history of this camp, now sadly long gone. Edward was in good company as many of those captured on or after the 21st March 1918 were sent to the Gustow camp, sadly Edward succumbed to diphtheria and died on the 3rd July 1918, he was buried at Cambrai, where he is the sole representative of the SIH.

R.I.P Edward.

1901 Census, Kilkea Upper (Kilkea, Kildare)
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Kildare/Kilkea/Kilkea_Upper/1434280/

1911 Census, Castleroe, West (Dunmanoge, Kildare)
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Kildare/Dunmanoge/Castleroe__West/536912/

Find a grave, Edward Shiel
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/56177751/edward-shiel

Commonwealth War Graves Commission site. Edward Shiel
https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/551073/EDWARD SHIEL/

PRISONERS OF THE FIRST WORLD WAR ICRC HISTORICAL ARCHIVES 
https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Details/5095839/3/2/
Ref C_G1_E_15_01_0077_1578_0.JPG

Gustrow historische Ansichten auf alten Fotos und postkarten ab 1890
Gustrow historical views on old photos and postcards from 1890
https://web.archive.org/web/20190809125255/http://guestrow-history.de/kriegsgefangenlager-bockhorst

Hello,

As has been said many times in similar cases, he was never in Germany (Güstrow), but stayed on the Western Front to work as a POW.

Jan

Edited by AOK4

A further example is a relation of mine being registered at Dulmen and Limburg, there is no evidence I have come across that says he’d even heard of these camps let alone crossed the threshold.

He was also registered at Gustrow and the postcards he brought home prove he was there. As with many large camps, a feature of the operation was to assess prisoners before sending them to satellite camps to work so although my ancestor was certainly at Gustrow there seems no way to say how long for. He seems to have spent more time at Gettorf though I believe he was returned to Gustrow to await transport home.

Simon

3 hours ago, AOK4 said:

Hello,

As has been said many times in similar cases, he was never in Germany (Güstrow), but stayed on the Western Front to work as a POW.

Jan

Hi,

Interesting , so is this document just an administrative list? See line 160 and another SIH man on the line below.

Shiel_Edward_SIH_2970_R_Dub_Fus_21067_C_G1_E_04_01_0172_0152.JPG