Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Placename Place of death search.

arneken

Hey!

I'm working on something with a lad from Canada/ England on a great uncle of his.

We're tracing his last steps (which he took not far from where i live in Belgium)

I already found his gravestone and it helped us pretty much.

Yet in the war dairies we've found a little block in our search.

"Place of Casualty" is filled in with a term we are not familiar with ...

I've been looking for references made in the vicinity of the Wijtschaete-ridge and Kemmelridge, but couldn't locate anything.

We just know he died of the effects of a gas attack and klein Vierstraete Cemetery is know for having victims from field ambulances ...

Anybody who can advice me further with this?

https://ibb.co/rtKgzzR
https://ibb.co/j3Gx8zK

Strensall, which is a village just outside York (England) there has been an army camp there since ww1.
Charlie

You may know this but the term "casualty" in the context of the service record means "occurrence"

He was in 738 Area Employment Company Labour Corps according to the Register of Soldiers' Effects, although the grave details say 138 Company (which wasn't an Area Employment Company).  His record confrims that 738 is correct..

738 AEC arrived in France between 28 and 30 July 1917.  Area Employment Companies were allocated to divisional, corps or army headquarters.  S

His record says he died at 49 Field Ambulance (37 Div )which was at Locre on the date he died.

Max

Edited by MaxD
additions