Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can Someone make out where this "Hun Post" was?

jem1900

My uncle was fortunate enough to find an album of photos from my great-grandfather's time in the BOAR around 1919. He apparently saw some site in Belgium at some point. I'm having trouble making out the inscription under the first photo. I think the top should read "Hun M. G. Post" as in a German machine-gun post, but that "G" looks like it could also be a "Y". More importantly I can't seem to make out the name of the village or area it was taken in: I thought it says Aubrero but I have a feeling I'm definitely off. I can't find a town near Ypres (site of the second photo) that matches the name; the only one that comes even close is Aubrometz in France but there's no "z" or "t" as far as I can tell. 

Let me know what any of you think it says. 

WWI Sample Photo.pdf

Edited by jem1900

• Admin

Hun MG post Aubriers. I think this should be Aubers. There are a lot of bits of concrete still around that area. 

Michelle

8 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

Hun MG post Aubriers. I think this should be Aubers. There are a lot of bits of concrete still around that area. 

Michelle

Thanks. Now that I look at it again, I think Aubers might be the town that my great grandad meant; he could have misspelled it perhaps?

• Admin
3 hours ago, jem1900 said:

Thanks. Now that I look at it again, I think Aubers might be the town that my great grandad meant; he could have misspelled it perhaps?

I think that's a strong possibility. 

Michelle