Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
johnvoe

Submarines WW2

johnvoe
Posted (edited)

Apologies for posting up a query on this excellent WW1 site about WW2 and, if requested I will of course remove it immediately. I am currently researching submarine activity through Lerwick, in the Shetland Islands, during WW2 and was hoping someone might be able to offer any interesting online links regarding the operation of the base here - HMS Ambrose II, a forward base from the main one in Dundee (HMS Ambrose). From 1942 onwards there were between 100-200 submarines passing through Lerwick each year but there seems to be little written about this activity other than mention of exploits by individual submarines. My activity data for these calls comes from the Port Authorities written records with a useful cross check of submarine arrival/sail dates from U-Boats.net
The TNA would of course be a good place to start, especially with regards to the vessel’s logs, but living in Shetland is limiting in the amount of research that can be done, more especially in these strange times that we are all living through just now. Hoping someone can offer up some suggestions. Many thanks. John

Edited by johnvoe

depaor01
Posted (edited)

We recommend the WW2talk site for queries on that war. This will probably be locked, but good luck with your research. 

Dave

Edited by depaor01