Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Which regiment?

Sandie Hayes

This chap married in 1919. His marriage certificate states 'soldier in His Majesty's army'.

Charles Llewellyn Davies, not sure if he lived in Liverpool before his wedding but, he settled in the city afterwards. 

Can anyone identify his badges / uniform? 

Many thanks 

FB_IMG_1591460672825.jpg

• Admin

Shame it's blurry but are they maple leaf badges? 

Yes, that's him! His mother's address in Towyn confirms it.

No idea he went to Canada. He was in Towyn in 1911 and enlisted in Canada in 1915.

I wonder why he never took his bride to Canada, she had very little family in Britain. We'll never know!

Thank you for all your help. 

8 hours ago, Sandie Hayes said:

Yes, that's him! His mother's address in Towyn confirms it.

No idea he went to Canada. He was in Towyn in 1911 and enlisted in Canada in 1915.

I wonder why he never took his bride to Canada, she had very little family in Britain. We'll never know!

Thank you for all your help. 

The photo was taken near to the end of the war, seemingly in 1918, or 1919 at latest.  He is wearing the ribbon for a 1915 Star and I think I can count four overseas service stripes, which suggests 1915, 16, 17 and 18.  The fact that he's reached the rank of sergeant also chimes with that timeline.  Perhaps he went back to Canada ahead of his wife, promising to send passage-money/ticket and then reneged upon it.  It's a scenario that I've heard of before.  I imagine that there were plenty of pretty and shall we say, more 'modern', Canadian girls only too happy to welcome a hero from the Canadian Corps home.  Alternately but admittedly less likely she might have got cold feet or come under family pressure about leaving family, home and hearth.  As you say, you’ll probably never know.

Edited by FROGSMILE