Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MIC query - why rank difference ?

Coldstreamer

Hello

On this MIC the rank is clearly shown as Lt Col but apparently the medals are to Major

Could someone tell me why the difference in rank as all the medal I have for ww1 match the MICs 

Perhaps the medal roll itself will confirm - the roll I have is missing him (typically)

cheers

Ian

copy courtesy Ancestry

mack.jpg

Strange.

I thought that what was denoted on the card by the symbol, was engraved on the medals?

Major on medal roll

41629_626640_11904-00129.jpg.f38acbe31b0a1f4d96e00fb8520418d8.jpg

Image courtesy of Ancestry

Ray 

The Red Feathers (Quick March) composed by John Mackenzie Rogan Played by The Band of the Coldstream Guards

15 minutes ago, RaySearching said:

Major on medal roll

41629_626640_11904-00129.jpg.f38acbe31b0a1f4d96e00fb8520418d8.jpg

Image courtesy of Ancestry

Ray 

That looks like a menu for a great  Saturday Night out, a Whitbread followed by a Rogan, OK the Horlicks should be last...

So, Lt.  Col. Rogan applied for his medals by post when he held that rank I guess?

Thought MICs were created from the rolls which says Major. Or is it possible with officers the MIC was created from his application.

The X is a normal X, not the dotted X normally seen. Is this just a way of saying look at the roll for rank?

TEW

1 minute ago, TEW said:

The X is a normal X, not the dotted X normally seen. Is this just a way of saying look at the roll for rank?

TEW

well spotted 

Thanks.  I enquired as his medals sold recently and I was puzzled by the rank

Bond of Friendship is one of his better known marches.

On 06/06/2020 at 17:45, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

That looks like a menu for a great  Saturday Night out, a Whitbread followed by a Rogan, OK the Horlicks should be last...

And Tollemache are/were a big brewing family in East Anglia. Wasn’t there a Tolly’s beer?

In the 1880s some of John Tollemache's sons started a brewery in Suffolk, which merged in 1957 to become the Tolly Cobboldbrewery.[5] Several pubs called the Tollemache Arms are located in and near the family's estates including at Alpraham, Tarporley, Mossley, Ashton-under-Lyne, Buckminster and Harrington.

Edited by PhilB

Tolly 4X was a jolly good pint, back in the day. I met the future Mrs Broomfield in a Tolly pub (The Duke of Argyle) in Cambridge. It's now a block of flats.

The Cobbold family, for many years, owned Ipswich Town FC.

Remind me again who this regiment was?

1st Royal (Camra) Maltsters Garrison Bn. ?

1 hour ago, RaySearching said:

Looks like we have a full house

pritchards.jpg.e5fb8b9bb8a3c327f4729d5d0e04de49.jpg

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

On 06/06/2020 at 14:01, Coldstreamer said:

Hello

On this MIC the rank is clearly shown as Lt Col but apparently the medals are to Major

Could someone tell me why the difference in rank as all the medal I have for ww1 match the MICs 

Perhaps the medal roll itself will confirm - the roll I have is missing him (typically)

cheers

Ian

copy courtesy Ancestry

mack.jpg

Ian

I have a substantial amount of information about John MacKenzie-Rogan including his autobiography and his record from TNA.You will probably know, he was commissioned  from the ranks on  7.2.1904 and became Director of Music Coldstream Guards as Captain on 6 June 1904. He was promoted Major 1.7.17 and Lt Colonel 10.3.1920 which explains why his medals are in the rank of Major.

TR

thanks Terry

I was sure I read he was Lt Col before the war, must check my source again