Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Web Bandolier/Bandoleer

4thGordons

Can anyone identify the pattern of this web bandolier worn by this TF (based on the shoulder brass) Argyll?

It holds rounds in single loops (although none are present) so presumably dates from before the introduction of charger loading rifles but I don't think I have seen a British Web version before. (It resembles the US belts used to carry 30-40 Krag ammunition)

My usual go to for such things (Karkee Web) has so far not revealed anything.

webbandoleer.jpg.bc8e7eeb5a2265bd2d74eb7f0f37806d.jpg

TIA

Chris

It's an American Mills bandolier, made for Krag rounds but they also took .303. Britain purchased large numbers of them at the start of the Boer War, originally for mounted infantry but many were also issued to infantry on both static and mobile duties as the shortcomings of the 1888 pattern buff equipment became evident. They were produced in various sizes with or without leather or cloth flaps and cotinue to appear in photos of Volunteer units well into the Edwardian period.

Thanks - that would explain why it looked like the US Krag 30-40 bandolier! do you know if they had any sort of buckle on them? The US Mills Krag belts often have a large brass US buckle. Thanks again

Chris

Hi Chris

It appears to be a 100 round Mills web cartridge belt, worn as a bandolier. These were purchased in large quantities from the US by the War Office during the Boer War. Two types were acquired - a lightweight disposable 100 round bandolier and the heavier duty 100 round belt / bandolier illustrated here. Pattern 1903 notwithstanding, this was the forerunner of the adoption of web equipment by the British. The 100 rounds were accommodated by the use of double loops. 753DD0DE-3BBA-40BC-AAC9-C0D22E16C12D.jpeg.5ff0a2196762e978cf2c6d4f85d0f561.jpeg

This example from the collection of (the late) Roger Dennis.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by Pete_C

I was watching Geronimo with Gene Hackman and I am convinced there were a lot of these belts use with the U.S. soldiers in it. I am open to correction though