Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SMLE Stock Disc Unit Marking

Frankbama

I have a 1912 BSA SMLE No. I Mk. III with the following stock Disc marking, TASH 180.  I have not been able to determine the regiment.  Any ideas?

Frank,

Welcome to the GWF.

I believe that you have a rifle that was issued to a Territorial Battalion of the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders.

Partial and whole photos of the rifle would be appreciated by all of us here.

Regards,

JMB

EDIT: 180 is believed to refer to the rifle or rack number, so that the same bayonet and rifle were kept together.

Edited by JMB1943
Add info

Thank you for your response.  That is what I thought but I could not find any documentation.  Interesting rifle, it was later used by the New South Wales RANR.  I will post some photos tomorrow.

Frank

I do not believe that its a Argylls stamp. I have never seen T used to indicate a TF battalion (it is usually signified by 1/Bn number)

Given the Australian connection (and the spacing of the markings) I think TAS may well refer to TASMANIA

H given the spacing might refer to a unit (Home Guard? Company H? pure guesses)

I think forum members Shippingsteel and/or 5thBatt might well have some insight on this.

Chris 

Edited by 4thGordons

Thank you, this one has had me stumped for the 30+ years I have owned it.  There are Australian proof marks under the handguard with a 11'21 date.

Chris is correct. The TAS most likely stands for the State of Tasmania. A significant number of SMLE rifles were shipped out from Britain in that 1911/12 period. I would be looking hard for a Sold out Service (conjoined arrows) stamp usually found on the Knox form. Any other inventory numbers would also be indicative. With the H stamping this could perhaps be for Hobart which is the capital city of Tasmania and would have had a strong representation of Militia personnel. 

Cheers, SS 

Thank you for the information.  I can't find the arrows anywhere.  There are Australian proof marks under the handguard with a date of 11'21.  Could have been issued to a territorial unit during the war and then to the RANR in 1921?

Frank

1 hour ago, Frankbama said:

Thank you for the information.  I can't find the arrows anywhere.  There are Australian proof marks under the handguard with a date of 11'21.  Could have been issued to a territorial unit during the war and then to the RANR in 1921?

Frank

I don't see any indication it was issued to a TF unit.

As far as I can see the question is did it got from TAS to NSW or the other way around?

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

'Scuse my ignorance, but isn't that propellor-type mark above the 95 a 'Cancellation' mark? 

Julian

Trajan is correct, when they overlay the stamp that is being cancelled. 

Here the propeller just seems to be used as a separating device.

The conjoined broad arrows are the “sold out of service” mark.

Regards,

JMB

Edited by JMB1943
add info